Class A chimney Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
I was planning a pellet stove install for my basement this month but after seeing my basement they declined the install because of my un-insulated basement, along with a partial fieldstone as well. It was going to be nearly $4000. installed, including taxes venting and installation. I'm looking to heat 900 sq.ft. just the basement, my Fireview heats the entire first floor and our bedroom on the second floor. Does anyone have an idea of what a class A chimney for a wood stove cost in the Massachusetts area? I figure about 15' of pipe running on the outside of the house, exiting the foundation and straight up the exterior wall above the roof. I was thinking a pellet stove for the ease of heating the cellar but maybe a wood stove would be a better choice? I've got a friend of mine that heats an old un-insulated farm house with a cheapo home depot wood stove, so I figured I could heat my cellar? I am going to spend the winter parging the rest of the fieldstone and framing and insulating the walls the best I can but I'm sure a wood stove can heat the cellar without it? I'll upload a picture of the corner of the cellar where I plan to install the stove.
Inside NM.JPG
And here's my photo shopped picture of the QuadraFire CB 1200 that was going to be installed there....

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 15,035
Does anyone have an idea of what a class A chimney for a wood stove cost in the Massachusetts area
Shop online for your chimney pipe ,U could save almost half

Reactions: dylskee
Shop online for your chimney pipe ,U could save almost half
Thanks for the reply HD, I won't be doing the install so I'll be hiring someone to do it. I was curious to see what it would cost with labor, I figured there has to be a couple of people on this forum that is an installer or has had one installed that could give me an idea on what it would cost. I know it's not going to be cheap.......

Will there be a soffit that the pipe needs to either angle around or that needs to be notched? If not, figure about $1500? if you make the hole in the cement wall first.

Will there be a soffit that the pipe needs to either angle around or that needs to be notched? If not, figure about $1500? if you make the hole in the cement wall first.
Thanks begreen, nope, no soffit to go through. Straight out the foundation and up the outside wall. Here is a poorly photo shopped picture of where the chimney will go. This was for a pellet stove install but you get the idea. I'll have to go higher with the pipe than pictured.
Outside.jpg

For a 15' T system professionally installed expect to spend $2000-$2500 for all parts and labor.

That is going to take a lot of pipe above the roof edge to be code compliant. The top of the pipe has to be at least 10 ft away from the roof surface (measured horizontally). I would guess it would end up being 20ft of pipe plus bracing. That is going to look like crap IMO. I can see why you were thinking pellet stove. It would be relatively easy to install the piping yourself in the indicated location. True, with the uninsulated walls you are going to lose about 1/3d of the btus, but that will be the same with a wood stove, gas or electric heater.

Damn, I was afraid of that! You're right though, 20' of pipe would not be what I'm looking for. Heating this basement is going to be a challenge!

I wouldn't be deterred by one pellet stove dealer's opinion. As long as you know the caveats going in and are not going to bug the dealer over heat losses then that is your problem (and incentive to insulate asap). Just figure on the loss until you insulate. You will use more fuel, but on high the 1200 should be able to heat the space. We had the CB 1200i and it was a good heater. Even if you realize only 32,000 btus/hr. the space should warm up ok for all but the very coldest days.

PS: It could be the real deterrent was cutting a hole in the wall for the vent and digging a proper well on the outside. Would you consider installing this yourself?

Last edited:
I also agree the CB 1200 could easily heat 900 sq uninsulated.

I had one for 5 seasons and heated roughly 2,200 sq ft and used just the Low heat setting 90% of the time. The Classic Bay is a beast of a stove and the venting will be cheaper, you can run it on a stat, not worry about loading every few hrs, etc
Although the initial cost of the stove is more. The convenience is nice :) Id get a 2nd opinion.

I wouldn't be deterred by one pellet stove dealer's opinion. As long as you know the caveats going in and are not going to bug the dealer over heat losses then that is your problem (and incentive to insulate asap). Just figure on the loss until you insulate. You will use more fuel, but on high the 1200 should be able to heat the space. We had the CB 1200i and it was a good heater. Even if you realize only 32,000 btus/hr. the space should warm up ok for all but the very coldest days.

PS: It could be the real deterrent was cutting a hole in the wall for the vent and digging a proper well on the outside. Would you consider installing this yourself?
I will be trying two more dealers but they carry Harman so I'll be looking at the P43. I emailed and called the only other Quadra-Fire dealer in my area and they haven't returned my messages!

I dont know if its to code or not, but I have seen more than 1 pellet stove vented out a basement window, some poorly and others where people took the time to remove the window, `frame` it in and run the pipe through and finish it off so it looks OK

Seems like a simple job to me and you wont need to much pipe

I dont know if its to code or not, but I have seen more than 1 pellet stove vented out a basement window, some poorly and others where people took the time to remove the window, `frame` it in and run the pipe through and finish it off so it looks OK

Seems like a simple job to me and you wont need to much pipe
I would have no problem at all going out the cellar window, I wouldn't lose much light at all. But I have a window right above that cellar window so that's not going to fly. I just talked to my wife and we agreed we will do what we can to get a pellet stove installed this year. So I'll call a few more dealers this week coming.

I would have no problem at all going out the cellar window, I wouldn't lose much light at all. But I have a window right above that cellar window so that's not going to fly. I just talked to my wife and we agreed we will do what we can to get a pellet stove installed this year. So I'll call a few more dealers this week coming.
just throw it out there, is there another window that would work? seems easier to relocate some stuff in basement than to bore a large hole through the foundation

X2, I just had an estimate from a concrete foundating cutter. They use a diamond saw tool they mount to the foundation and it cuts a nice round hole for the venting. The price of the hole cut was $500. If you could do the rest, the pellet pipe just has to be 3 feet above the ground so snow would not get in. That might be cheaper.

X2, I just had an estimate from a concrete foundating cutter. They use a diamond saw tool they mount to the foundation and it cuts a nice round hole for the venting. The price of the hole cut was $500. If you could do the rest, the pellet pipe just has to be 3 feet above the ground so snow would not get in. That might be cheaper.
I think the hole through the foundation is the easiest part of this, it's a hollow center 8" cinderblock. I was just going to mark off the circle and drill a bunch of 1/2" holes around the perimeter and chisel out the center. My problem is all the windows and not being sure of the proper codes.

Reactions: DexterDay
I think the hole through the foundation is the easiest part of this, it's a hollow center 8" cinderblock. I was just going to mark off the circle and drill a bunch of 1/2" holes around the perimeter and chisel out the center. My problem is all the windows and not being sure of the proper codes.

That's what I did. Mark. Drill about 15-20 holes and I used a chisel to break it out and make a nice circle. Plus, no clearance for concrete. Just need a hole big enough to fit

Is this the only wall the stove can vent out of?

Is this the only wall the stove can vent out of?
Pretty much, I'm limited to that corner anyway. Either out where it is shown in the picture or that wall to the right. I have a deck and then a front porch on the other side, oil tank and a finished room at the other end. I'm in touch with a couple dealers so I should have a better idea of my plans by the end of the week, I hope......

Status
Not open for further replies.