Class A Chimney Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Burning Hunk
Jan 19, 2013
Northern Minnesota
Time has come to pull out the Englander pellet stove that assists our Isle Royale at the other end of the house. We bought a Drolet Legend and now it's time for the install. We live in a remote area and are going to order Selkirk Supervent from a Menards about 90 miles away and just want to make sure I get everything I need on one trip.

The stove will be going on the main floor with chimney passing through our 2nd floor master bedroom with a cathedral ceiling and I'm a little confused on what to use on that ceiling and through the roof. Here's what I'm thinking so far from the stove up...

1. Double wall pipe
2. Stove pipe adaptor
3. Ceiling support
4. Start of class A
5. Firestop shield on 2nd floor cathedral ceiling?
6. Rafter shield?
7. Flashing
8. Storm collar
9. Cap

The Selkirk instructions are pretty good but do I need firestop shield on 1st floor along with the support box and how about that 2nd floor cathedral?

Thanks

The support box IS your firestop for that first penetration. Usually, a firestop is mandatory every 8 or 9 feet, depending on ceiling height, you may want to check the install instructions. Also, code says you have to box in the Class A in a living space, so you may have more than one firestop in the bedroom. One part way up & one where the cathedral ceiling is penetrated. The insulation shield will be on top of the firestop, & depending on the space between the cathedral ceiling & the roof sheathing, that shield may be in contact with, or even attached to the sheathing. Make sure you have enough Class A to meet the 10'-2'-3' requirement.

You might need an appliance adapter to hook the double wall connector to your stove.

The support box IS your firestop for that first penetration. Usually, a firestop is mandatory every 8 or 9 feet, depending on ceiling height, you may want to check the install instructions. Also, code says you have to box in the Class A in a living space, so you may have more than one firestop in the bedroom. One part way up & one where the cathedral ceiling is penetrated. The insulation shield will be on top of the firestop, & depending on the space between the cathedral ceiling & the roof sheathing, that shield may be in contact with, or even attached to the sheathing. Make sure you have enough Class A to meet the 10'-2'-3' requirement.
Thanks,
The class A will be enclosed in a chase in the 2nd floor bedroom. It will be about 9ft from the floor to the ceiling in the bedroom so I'll check the instructions on that. I'm guessing it will only be about a foot to 18 inches from where I go through the cathedral to the roof so maybe I can get by with a firestop on the ceiling and an insulation shield on top of that to the the roof.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.