Class A chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krtx

Oct 29, 2013
Sunset,TX
We have been using Englader wood stove in mobile home since 1993. Husband passed away 2007. Last year I replaced the chimney pipe as it had totally deteriorated. Ace hardware sold me a single galvanized pipe to replace it. I read that I need class A pipe but will i have to replace the ceiling box? I have no idea of the connection type there. pictured attached. will the class A just go through the chimney box? The pipe is 8 inch and I just found a DuraVent DuraBlack 6 in. to 8 in. Single-Wall Chimney Stove Pipe Slip Increaser can i stick that in there and add class A chimney pipe. Replaced the interior stove pipes.
Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• beaver hole and chimney 002.JPG
    beaver hole and chimney 002.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:
We have been using Englader wood stove in mobile home since 1993. Husband passed away 2007. Last year I replaced the chimney pipe as it had totally deteriorated. Ace hardware sold me a single galvanized pipe to replace it. I read that I need class A pipe but will i have to replace the ceiling box? I have no idea of the connection type there. pictured attached. will the class A just go through the chimney box? The pipe is 8 inch and I just found a DuraVent DuraBlack 6 in. to 8 in. Single-Wall Chimney Stove Pipe Slip Increaser can i stick that in there and add class A chimney pipe. Replaced the interior stove pipes.
Any advice is appreciated.

Where is that pic taken, looking down inside the support box?

I think we need some more pictures of the current stove and the current piping to determine the right solution.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but it scares me! You do need class A chimney pipe, and in a MH, double wall stovepipe.

You can't mix different brands of chimney, they are systems that are designed to be used together and they shouldn't be mixed and most often can't be mixed because it would fit together anyway. If you can get a pic from the inside we might be able to tell you what brand it is so you can reuse the ceiling box.

Englander- 6" pipe. Your best bet is to replace the flue system with one from a single mfg. as stated above so all the pieces fit together properly. Double wall from stove to ceiling adapter /pass through then triple wall stainless from there up. This how I set mine up and never had a problem. It also sounds like you will need to hire out to get this done. So check your yellow pages for stove shops or sweeps that can do this for you. I'm thinking should not exceed $1200 dollars including labor maybe less,I do not know the current pricing of flue parts as it was some 10 + years ago I installed it in my trailer.
You stated 8" pipe that may have been the outside dimension of double wall, the inside would be 6" to fit the stove, the triple wall will be about 10" or so outside diameter and again 6" inside. Galvenized pipe has no business in a flue system, and you should not be using single wall inside the trailer.

The picture is from the roof right after we discovered damage. I just realized , Blades, that you are right. I need to run new pipe from stove through ceiling so they will connect. Why dont home improvement stores know this arghhh. Stove pipes are 8 inches from stove through. Gee thats a LOT of money. I hear you so is the house.
Thank you all for your help. will see what system I can find to replace all. Btw, I have a North Star 10 hp log splitter, It has been sitting for a few years well covered any idea what I should ask for it? Can't find out what the tonage is on it.
Thanks for your help,

Won't you need the logsplitter if you are burning wood?

How bout that picture from below? The ceiling box might be re-usable.

Do you recommend a place with good price for the stove and chimney pipe?.

For sure do not go back to that Ace Hardware! They led you wrong once so don't allow that again. Perhaps you would be best advised to seek some local help in this. It should not be costly and might save you much heartache in the end. You've lost enough already when you lost your husband. Don't take a chance on losing your home. Get it done right and know for sure it is right.

fireplace 038.JPG
submited more pics. Went to Sutherlands. They say I need to replace my ceiling box. IT looks like the pipes connect inside the ceiling box to each other and not to the box itself.. I will have to get up there and look again. I think i found the reciept for the install stuff but it is so faded it cant be read.
As for the log splitter haven't used it . Have lots of right sized timber. The beaver cut them down I then cut them up,,trees, nice that they often take off the smaller limbs too. My son does well hand splitting the others.
Gee I don't want to replace that box. What do you think?
Thankful for the wonder site I have done a lot of research and there is so much information here.
Thank you knowledgeable people for sharing

Attachments

• fireplace 023.JPG
    fireplace 023.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 153
View attachment 117164 submited more pics. Went to Sutherlands. They say I need to replace my ceiling box. IT looks like the pipes connect inside the ceiling box to each other and not to the box itself.. I will have to get up there and look again. I think i found the reciept for the install stuff but it is so faded it cant be read.
As for the log splitter haven't used it . Have lots of right sized timber. The beaver cut them down I then cut them up,,trees, nice that they often take off the smaller limbs too. My son does well hand splitting the others.
Gee I don't want to replace that box. What do you think?
Thankful for the wonder site I have done a lot of research and there is so much information here.
Thank you knowledgeable people for sharing

will try to get pic from inside thru ceiling box. thanks again for advise.
cant belived we used it like we did for SO many years. tempted but wont. Propane is TOO expensive to heat a home especially with all the free fuel i have.

I have gathered pictured from ceiling box top and bottom. My pipes connect to each other through the ceiling box, Which was the wrong way but would like to fix this with out changing box.
I possible. Can any one advise. pics are from chimney box to inside box going up then chimney and going down. Thank you.ceiling box 007.JPGceiling box 006.JPGceiling box 010.JPGceiling box 011.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.