Class A chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
This is my first stove installation, so I might be kind of anal, but I installed my Class A chimney (Duravent) and after putting everything together and then looking up the chimney from inside the house I noticed that where the two first sections come together there is not a smooth transition from one pipe to the next. For about an inch of circumference I can stick a coat hanger between the male and female joint. Is this okay?

is this between the 8674 dvl adapter and the support box? Where the interior chimney connects to support box?

No, it is between the first 4' section and the next 3' section. The 4' section looks perfectly round in that area and the 3' section looks like it has a little flat spot that I could stick a coat hanger up under it.

It sounds like the pipe is bent? where the joints of the class A meet, there is a lip on both sides. that lip lets you lock them together with a optional lock ring. If you saying your seeing a flat spot, that sounds bent to me. If thats the case, there probably is no harm and long as the inner flues are tight. If the pipe is damaged, then bring it back!

So I don't have to worry about a spark going up under there and possibly escaping into my chase?

It's hard to be sure. Can you post a picture or two so we can see what you're seeing?

Its real hard to tell exacly what your saying on here, without a photo, but, the exterior liner is seperate from the interior liner. If the exterior of the pipe is bent, but the interior is not, then no, sparks cant escape. The interior liners job is to contain the flue gas, the exteroir liners job is to hold the insulation in, and keep the weather out. I say again, its hard to say with out a photo. Is the interior of the connection bent at all? if you are worried about it at all, just bring it back.

real time posting crossed :)

When will you be working again? I could stop by and show you exactly what I am talking about before I take it all apart. Thanks a lot for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

BeGreen said:
It's hard to be sure. Can you post a picture or two so we can see what you're seeing?
True that . Picture would really help. Wouldn't want to give the wrong advise per your pipe install . I would hope the pipe didn't come apart at the joint. Some time that pipe is hard on its self in shipping. Always like to be sure.

MountainStoveGuy said:
hey the crack team at hearthnet is showing there stuff!
"CRACK'LE" team. We buy u books and we buy u books and all we get .............

I believe that I have attached the photo. The small gap at the top right of the seam is what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Chimney 2.jpg
    Chimney 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 348
Yes sir, that's it. I can stick a coat hanger up under that section.

In my opinion ( worth about .02 cents ) i would just give it a tap if you can other wise i wouldnt worry too much about it , i would think it will fill in. Lets C what other have to say first.

I want to make sure "I'm" straight ....... This is Class A insulated lock togother pipe? right? So the male ends are going up with the female ends locking on top of it. So if a spark was to go through it would have to go up .... over ..... and then down to get out of the locking joint.

In answer to Roospike, yes it is a male female locked together class A pipe

Looks like a few taps with a hammer would make it perfect. I dont see how it would hurt anything the way it is. Thanks for posting the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.