CLASS A CHIMNEY QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I just finished cleaning my chimney with a new brush I used. It is an 8 inch nylon bristle brush with very flexible bristles. These are often used in applications where flexibility is needed, but I found it did a much better job on a straight pipe than my Rutland poly brush which has much heavier and wider spaced bristles. Anyway, I noticed that the sheet metal at the connection points inside of each of the pipe sections has a spot or spots that are not flush with the inside of the pipe. I think this was caused in the past by the heavier bristle brush when it caught the edge. I am not really sure. I was just wondering if this could ever be a problem with the pipe. I doubt the flue gasses would be forced into places they shouldn't go (since there are plenty of seams in the pipe that are not completely sealed), but I figured I would ask anyway.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 226
I doubt it will be a problem but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

I, too, wonder about this. A dealer I know told me that when putting sections of class A together, sometimes the vertical seam will bump out slightly, leaving a small misalignment, but this is okay. I have often wondered. This looks like what he might have been talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.