Class a Chimney questions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
Ok I am about to install a chimney in my basement probably connected to a englander 30. Its coming out the wall and up on the long side of my house (where my gutter is, not the eave side). I'm thinking about going with a class a stainless triple wall chimney, it will be approx. 21'. My question is should I try to keep it as close to the house as I can (outside of the 2" min) so I do not have to run the flat pipe inside for such a long stretch? If so what do I do once I get the the overhang of the house, use a offset to get past it or cut into the house and fix the house around it. Or do i make the horizontal piece longer inside to keep it further away from the house all together? As you can tell this will be my first chimney ever built and your knowledge would be appreciated....

Nix to the last idea. Keep the horiz. runs short. How deep is the overhang? Is there any possibility of locating the stove so that you can go up the eave side of the house or would that be too much of a compromise?

Yea too much of a compromise, I want it in the middle of the basement near the stairwell + there are seperate rooms in both sides, so no room. So are you saying to use the offset or cut into the house to make the room?? Of course I like the idea of the offset better but will that compromise anything?

I need to know how much of an offset. How far is the front edge of the gutter from the house? And, process thinking here, is there any possibility of taking this pipe up through the house and out the roof? There are definite benefits to this approach. And while process thinking, are you certain there is no option to put the stove on the main floor of the house?

I'm looking at 15", just measured it. I wish there was an option for straight up and out, but no room, at least no room willing to be sacrificed. I already have a insert upstair, want something for the basement. I don't believe I will have a draft problem though, I live in a mild climate where 20ish is pucker up cold and seldem see it in the teens at the lowest. Also I've been paying alot of attention to all the houses in the area and I would say 75% are out and up. I'm also going to spring for the triple wall, so I figure that will help some.

Most of the chimneys on the market are double wall, with solid pack insulation. You need to offset 15", but remember this will be at 30 degrees, so your actual length between elbows will be more like 3'. If you have the room, I would go through the soffit with a fire-stop and then use a roof flashing above. You would need to modify the flashing a bit. Also, some Class A pipe states that you can't offset once it leaves the envelope of the house.

Well the offset is doable. You can only use 30º class A elbows and they will need to be strapped together to enforce rigidity. A 24" connector will give about a 15.5" offset. Personally I hate this type of installation, but some say it's done all the time. Just be sure to support it well and continue with roof braces for the pipe above the gutter.

Milder temps actually degrade draft, not improve it. And triple wall is not going to improve things a lot.

Thanks for the education, would you recomend cutting up the sofet like mentioned in the previous post vers the offset?? The only reason i chose the triple wall is because I actually found it cheaper than the double and figured it had to better to some degree

I'm wondering about the gutter system and drainage. If you cut the soffit, how far from the end will it be?

I guess that 15" includes the gutter? I forgot about that, if you can't pass through soffit, I think offsetting would be the way to go. Triple wall pipe is cheaper, and is not any better.

Obviously asthetics are important and everyone has their own opinion on what looks nice but I will put in a vote for straight up, through house if at all possible. I know there are a ton of offsets burning out there but I felt the advantage of having mine inside really offset an "offset" chimney. With class A you do not loose too much space if set near a wall, especially in a corner like mine is, and you gain draft from the straight shot and inside heat from and for the house. My stove is on the first floor with the chimney through the upstairs room and I kind of think it looks cool. I could box it in but after inspection it all passed so I am leaving the chrome pipe exposed and build a grate for the floor around it. This pipe gives off heat for the upstairs room and the warm pipe draws better than it would outside - especially with a couple 45's. Cold starts are know problem and I have had little or no back flow at all.

I think you could get black but not sure? If that would be more pleasing to the eye. Just a thought.

Here is mine during the install.

Attachments

• Chrome.jpg
    Chrome.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 540
Mine is on the Eve side (non gutter). I didnt do an offset, but my overhang was only 11". So only 1 extra foot of horizontal was needed.

Keeping it close and using an offset, would prob look better. But in the end, I went out the extra foot and had to make custom brackets to go on Pipe supports every 4 ft.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,035
oakstomper25 said:
Thanks for the education, would you recomend cutting up the sofet like mentioned in the previous post vers the offset?? The only reason i chose the triple wall is because I actually found it cheaper than the double and figured it had to better to some degree
Do you have a link to the type you want to use, some of that pipe for this type of application isnt worth the powder to blow it to hell.

BobUrban said:
Obviously asthetics are important and everyone has their own opinion on what looks nice but I will put in a vote for straight up, through house if at all possible. I know there are a ton of offsets burning out there but I felt the advantage of having mine inside really offset an "offset" chimney. With class A you do not loose too much space if set near a wall, especially in a corner like mine is, and you gain draft from the straight shot and inside heat from and for the house. My stove is on the first floor with the chimney through the upstairs room and I kind of think it looks cool. I could box it in but after inspection it all passed so I am leaving the chrome pipe exposed and build a grate for the floor around it. This pipe gives off heat for the upstairs room and the warm pipe draws better than it would outside - especially with a couple 45's. Cold starts are know problem and I have had little or no back flow at all.

I think you could get black but not sure? If that would be more pleasing to the eye. Just a thought.

Here is mine shortly during the install.

That pipe really should be chased both for insurance and safety. The chase can be vented top and bottom so that you don't lose heat.

I don't have the actual link, but its the triple wall stainless on home depot website just type in chimney pipe on the search engine and it will pop up. I found everything I think I need there except for the offset adapter which I spotted on a couple other websites if I go that route. Let me know what you think. Also coming out the stove and the horizontal run should I use single wall pipe of the same kind? Also if I use the offset should I use a 15 or 30 offset and will this make, will it make it very difficult to sweep, and will it effect my draft much? My house sits up on a hill a little bit with no obstructions around it (trees, buildings, ect.) so I'm assuming that will help my draft.

oakstomper25 said:
I don't have the actual link, but its the triple wall stainless on home depot website just type in chimney .
Having trouble finding the right one.

Well I like the insulated pipe better than the triple wall especialy for the outside of the house, hoping some one else has an idea weather that pipe is the best choice or not.

My Simpson Triple wall is insulated in between the 2 inner most walls (about 3/4"). Then there is a large air gap between the 3rd wall (outer stainless).

Its ok oldspark. I wonder why chimney pipe is drastically cheaper at home depot and lowes than any other place I can see to find. Any more input about my offset issues and concerns??

Status
Not open for further replies.