Class A Excel turning blue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Sep 20, 2006
Southern Ontario
I have noticed the top of 1-2 feet of my chimney turning slightly blue, the kind of coloration you sometimes see on a motorcycles exhaust pipe. I should mention that I am in a location that is subject to a constant wind, and that the bluing is only on the leeward side of the pipe. The whole chimney is less than 2 weeks old.

Anyone else have this?

Gunner said:
I have noticed the top of 1-2 feet of my chimney turning slightly blue, the kind of coloration you sometimes see on a motorcycles exhaust pipe. I should mention that I am in a location that is subject to a constant wind, and that the bluing is only on the leeward side of the pipe. The whole chimney is less than 2 weeks old.

Anyone else have this?

First time I have heard of this.
Are you using the ICC Cap?

Yes, ICC cap I believe, although I didn't install it myself so can't say for sure.

I'm going have to get the ladder out tomorrow I guess, it's driving me nuts.

There was a thread about this, this summer. I will have to find it. It doenst seem normal, steel wont usually discolor unless its overheated. I agree, sounds strange. Nothing to freak out about, but i would like to find out whats causing it.

I get that on my stainless cap, around the holes for the spark arrestor, the cap sits on the chimney crown, I know thats not from too much heat up there, although don't I wish, to keep the creosote away!!

So Greg your "Rainbow" effect went away...that's good I hope mine does too.

Went onto the roof this morning and had a look, tried cleaning it off with mineral spirits, but it returned as soon as the mineral spirits evaporated off the pipe.

It didn't take that long to go away once I started using the wood stove 24/7. I still feel some how it was a break in period because everything was new, but I could never find any documentation to back my theory up.

Anyways I would say you have nothing to worry about, I hope your "rainbow" effect clears up also.

I received an email back from the manufacturer this morning regarding the "bluing", they said it is caused by heat and smoke that is brought back against the pipe by "whirlwinds". Also said it is normal and there is not much I could do about it. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse but it's not going away either, I will give it some time and keep you updated.

I guess this is what happens when you live in a wind tunnel.

Take a picture of it

Status
Not open for further replies.