Class A Failure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Had a sweep come out today to inspect the flue. The pipe was clean even after three full seasons of burning - thanks mostly to this site. However, he noticed and took pictures of the inner wall of the class A pipe "pealing" back and exposing the insulation layer. It's happening on the two sections we have. I believe it's secure-temp pipe. The sweep says it looks like something that happened during installation. This is based on the fact that a brush has never been through the chimney. The real kicker is that he said I shouldn't use the stove. I'm hoping to get at least a second opinion if not more. Here are the picks.

Attachments

• 2011-10-14 08.05.jpg
    2011-10-14 08.05.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 2011-10-14 08.06.jpg
    2011-10-14 08.06.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 349
Did you install this or did you hire someone? If it was hired out, did you call the installer yet?

If there is any question, I agree with the sweep not to burn.

pen

I called the folks that we bought the pipe from to check on warranty and what their take is. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Their guy did the install four years ago.

Here's anther pic.

Attachments

• 2011-10-14 08.05.jpg
    2011-10-14 08.05.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 306
schortie said:
Had a sweep come out today to inspect the flue. The pipe was clean even after three full seasons of burning - thanks mostly to this site. However, he noticed and took pictures of the inner wall of the class A pipe "pealing" back and exposing the insulation layer. It's happening on the two sections we have. I believe it's secure-temp pipe. The sweep says it looks like something that happened during installation. This is based on the fact that a brush has never been through the chimney. The real kicker is that he said I shouldn't use the stove. I'm hoping to get at least a second opinion if not more. Here are the picks.

http://www.securitychimneys.com/resources/installation/inst_ASHT.pdf

Is the above the manufacturer, page 21 talks about the warranty.

zap

mhrischuk said:
Is that only at the very top?

The pick with the shingles is from the bottom of the top section looking up.

The other pic is looking down into the flue. You can notice "pealing" at the bottom of that section.

I agree with the sweep. That's not good. This is a defect in materials or workmanship. Security should replace the pipe or reimburse for its replacement.

Heard from the folks I bought the pipe from. Looks like Security is going to be shipping out two sections of pipe, but I guess I'm going to need to hire an installer. They're going to need replace from the ceiling box up. Will I need to get new supports and collars etc.? Sure hope not. Looks like I won't be burning for a couple weeks. Bummer.

schortie said:
Heard from the folks I bought the pipe from. Looks like Security is going to be shipping out two sections of pipe, but I guess I'm going to need to hire an installer. They're going to need replace from the ceiling box up. Will I need to get new supports and collars etc.? Sure hope not. Looks like I won't be burning for a couple weeks. Bummer.
I hope Security will take the time to back track these pipes in case there's a run of these being used by unsuspecting wood burners. Good find by your chimney sweep!

Status
Not open for further replies.