class A pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
6" Simpson DuraPlus Class A Chimney
6" Simpson DuraTech Class A Chimney

Anyone know which one is better.... and from experience, how hot is the outside of this pipe with a typical woodstove fire??
can I get an insulated wall thimble too??? How big an opening would I need. The hole I would put it thru is 13 inches square now...

for the money, i would check out supervent. supervent is a double wall insulated pipe. do you have a menards around? thats where i found mine and i LOVE it. also it only cost $60/3'!! i dont have any expiernce with simpson so i dont know what the difference is or wich one would be "better". another advantage is the outer deminsion of supervent is only 8". 8" will allow you plenty of room with your 13" existing hole. menards also has insulated wall kits made by supervent. WG

I have the DuraTech. A 12x12 hole is sufficient for the thimble. You run class A through the thimble.
A hot fire will have the lower sections of the class A chimney just a little hotter than you want to keep your hand on.

I'm using the ICC Excel which is similar to the Duratech. In my opinion, Excel and DuraTech are the two best. I believe DuraPLUS is UL & UL-C (Canada) approved, where the DuraTech is only UL approved (not UL-C). Excel is $$$ and hard to find. If I had to do it all over, I might have gone with Simpson DuraTech. You can buy Selkirk (many different brand names for the same product) in Lowes. I'm sure lots of people are using it with no problems, but I do seem to hear more complaints about Selkirk (but they are probably the largest player in the market). Excel has the closest distance to combustibles for their attic radiation shield/support box. My 6" chimney had a rough framed opening for the support box of only 10"x10".

According to the DuraTech Catalog the 6" thimble requires a rough framed opening of 11 7/8" and the DuraPlus requires a 14 1/4" framed opening.....

weezer4117 said:
for the money, i would check out supervent. supervent is a double wall insulated pipe. do you have a menards around? thats where i found mine and i LOVE it. also it only cost $60/3'!! i dont have any expiernce with simpson so i dont know what the difference is or wich one would be "better". another advantage is the outer deminsion of supervent is only 8". 8" will allow you plenty of room with your 13" existing hole. menards also has insulated wall kits made by supervent. WG

Super vent is also sold at Lowe's that is where I bought mine :)

I was told that Duraplus is triple wall and used for zero clearance and Duratech is double wall and used to go through ceilings and roofs and is plenty good enough for that. I just had duratech installed by an experienced installer and that is what I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.