Class A pulls up out of ceiling support??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
I was brushing BIL's upstairs flue from the top. From the stove up, there is stove pipe, support box, then Class A through the roof. When I pulled the brush out, the chimney pulled up out of the flat ceiling support box. I would have thought that there would be some sort of twist lock connection and locking band, or maybe sheet metal screws that secured the upper Class A to the box but I don't see anything like that in this image, and it's not mentioned in the instruction sheet. Doesn't seem right...

Having trouble posting the link or copy-and-pasting...search "selkirk sheet s-1"

www.selkirk.com/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=4364

Selkirk ceiling support.JPG

I am 99% certain that my Simpson ceiling support box has a twist lock bottom collar. No screws of course.

I don't have that brand, but on ours, the "male coupler" has a matching coupler in the ceiling adapter and the female adapter on the first piece of chimney twists into it to lock in place.. but I have 24' of triple wall, and I highly doubt it's going anywhere unexpected anyways...

In this picture you can see it inside the box..

IMGP1047.jpg

And here you can see the bottom of the first piece.. just before we lifted all 24' of chiney over, and into the box.. then turned it 20 degrees or so to lock it in place. Just the same as all the joints of the chimney.

IMGP1051.jpg

When I installed my chimney, the support had no locking device for the class A either. I wasn't super comfortable with that, but it hasn't budged when I sweep the chimney.

we lifted all 24' of chiney over, and into the box.. then turned it 20 degrees or so to lock it in place. Just the same as all the joints of the chimney.
When I installed my chimney, the support had no locking device for the class A either. I wasn't super comfortable with that, but it hasn't budged when I sweep the chimney.
Yeah, I was thinking that I could twist the top of the class A and see if it locks in but I suspect the ceiling box may be like FWWARDEN's, with no lock. I may go on the roof and lift the class A up again, this time with someone watching downstairs to see if the dripless smoke adapter is attached to the class A, and moves up also. BIL said the stainless pipe in the pic below used to be black so I assume, anyway, it may be the dripless smoke adapter. If it's all attached, I might get a telescoping single-wall pipe, screw it to the ceiling box and adapter, and call it good. I'm assuming the smoke adapter pipe slips down into the present pipe quite a bit further. If it was me, I would rip it apart and do it right but I don't think BIL is going to want to go through the hassle/expense and I think it will be safe...
008-1.jpg

Selkirk dripless smoke pipe adapter.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.