Class A vs UL-103 HT Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I was reading one of Woodstock's Prefabricated Chimney articles on their website (and my stove manual) and they say to use "UL Class A - All Fuel Approved to 2100 deg F" chimneys if you are going the prefabricated route.

My question is - when I look at some of the various pre-fab chimney - like Duravent or Selkirk, they don't state "Class A" but show their chimney pipe to be rated for 2100 deg F and UL-103 HT approved.

I am sure the Class A and UL-103 HT chimney pipe are the same - but if my building inspector says, show me it is a Class A chimney pipe but the markings are 2100 deg F and UL-103, how do I explain?

Or - is there a difference between the two?

Thanks!
Bill

They are the same thing....a semantics thingy. I would bet the inspector would be satisfied seeing "approved to 2100 deg F" and then seeing that UL-103 HT is rated to 2100F would satisfy. You could find some webpage that shows the pipe names are synonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.