Class A with 45s: regular brush vs sooteater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudr

Jan 7, 2013
Hi everyone,
I got my class A installed a couple weeks ago. They guy gave me two options to deal with the gutter/roof overhang: cut through the overhang and go straight up, or install two 45s with a 3 ft section between to offset it. I choose the two 45s because I didn't want to cut the roof, as I don't want to deal with roof leaks in the future. Now, anyone ever clean a setup like this? I haven't tried my rutland poles (on loan to father in law), will they work going up the 45/3 ft/45 section? Will I need a sooteater? Are they more flexible?

There are no 45 deg class A fittings. Only 15 and 30 deg elbows are made. Also, be careful, some companies like Selkirk don't allow their elbows to be used outside. If there are 45 deg elbows on this install something is wrong. Post a picture.

Looks like 2 15 degree bends to me. I have no idea about what brush though.

A 15 degree offset should not be a big deal for the Rutland rods. Give it a try.

FYI a sooteater goes through interior connector 45s pretty easily.

I would guess that you have 30 degree elbows, 15 are pretty uncommon and rarely needed. Your glass rods will go through, just make sure use a poly brush, no steel brooms should be used or needed. Glass rods will not go through 45 degree elbows, you need poly rods and a low profile broom for this. Or evidently a sooteater.

Status
Not open for further replies.