Classic Bay 1200 brand new inconsistent feeding, with video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pberardi

Feb 21, 2015
Schwenksville, PA
just started this up today for the first time using hamers pellets and factory thermostat. Messed with feed gate to get it to burn right before it hits the plates....roughly 6". Only problem is the fire seems to surge. It will burn strong for 30 seconds or so and then die down to right above the burn pot lip then after a min right back to 6". It's like it surges in feeding the pellets. Is this normal? Everyone else's on YouTube seems to have a consistent fire at 4-6 above the pot.

It may vary, especially near startup. Mine evens out once running for a bit. Note that inconsistent sized Pellets may be causing the up and down too. Take a sample of the Pellets and see what variation is.

They are all constant, they are Hamers pellets. The stove does not even out either, had it running for about 2 hours last night. Pellets will drop in, fire will go up about 6" above pot, then after they burn it will drop down to right above the burn pot. one more drop in it will go back up.

I would play with the feed setting some. Try and open it up a little, only make very small adjustments and wait 10-15 MIN after each time.

I'd say it's normal. At least that's the way mine functions.

It sounds somewhat normal. Almost all pellet stoves vary in height of flame. Normally the flame will build up, then pellets fall in, taking heat away to start the fresh pellets burning, new pellets fall by then and the cycle continues. If your average height on high is 4-6 inches above burnpot all is well. The bottom feeding Osburns at work seem to not have this undulating flame pattern, they seem more steady, I've seen that in Harmans too. Sounds like your Quad is doing fine.

My Quad does that also pb - the auger doesn't feed a consistent number of pellets with each turn depending on the pellet length variation as well as how they fall into the bottom of the auger. But just a thought - did you vacuum out all the sawdust fines from the bottom and the top of the auger when you shut down the stove for the summer?

If not, the sawdust and pellet fines likely absorbed moisture over the summer and compacted, which could partially obstruct your pellet feed at the bottom of the auger and / or at the top of the auger. A partial pellet bridge or consolidated sawdust obstruction either where the auger picks up the pellets or before they drop down the feed chute into the burn pot could potentially cause more variance in pellet feed than normal..

You could take a small mirror and a flashlight and shine it up the pellet drop chute to check, then if you have a small shop vac hose, or a dryer lint brush, or a straightened out coat hanger, you can stick that up the drop chute to clear any obstruction. Otherwise, I'd say it's normal, as others have noted.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 3 of mine work just like you described . You can play with the feed a little , but it will always be there to some degree
( All pun intended )

Reactions: St_Earl
I agree it's not right, don't think the feed is consistent. I'd checkout and clean the whole auger system. My 1200 does not do that.

imo, that is nothing to be concerned about.
my heatilator has the quad pot and its flame definitely rises and falls.

you have a nice, very active flame. i'm guessing the pellets are burning very well and not building up too much.
it's actually a pretty efficient burn that way, imo.

perhaps if there was less draft, coals would build up and keep the holes in the bottom of the pot covered and mediate that effect.
the delivery system in this kind of stove isn't exactly a precision affair so i think there will always be an effect somewhat like this.

personally, i like the fast, hot burn of the pellets as they are delivered.
but you could try the smallest closing of the damper plate.
i wouldn't, but it is another thing to play with to suit your preference.

Last edited:
That is the way mine feeds, it backs up some, then dumps a load, then starts over again. Since day one, heats good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.