Classic Bay 1200.....Firepot full of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman30

Feeling the Heat
Jul 9, 2010
Northeastern Oklahoma
I was wondering what would cause the firepot fill full of ash and clinkers in less than a twelve hour period? The ash builds up on the sides of the pot and the color of the ash in the firepot is brown in color. I have to breakup the build up with a scraper before it dumps into the pan. There are probably threads pertaining to this subject but maybe someone can assist me in any ideas. All i can think of is bad, crappy pellets.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 449
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 457
I did a cleaning about 20 bags or so ago. Did the leaf blower and scraped the tubes, etc.. It doesnt always fill up like shown in the pictures. Gaskets are good and door gaskets is decent shape. Flame has never been lazy of any sort.

Lineman30 said:
I did a cleaning about 20 bags or so ago. Did the leaf blower and scraped the tubes, etc.. It doesnt always fill up like shown in the pictures. Gaskets are good and door gaskets is decent shape. Flame has never been lazy of any sort.

There was a fellow on here last year that was able to burn his Quad for a while and then it would pile up rather fast.

It turned out to be a busted bolt holding the burn pot on its gasket.

Now I don't remember the model I do know he became an expert in dismantling and reassembling his stove.

ETA: Have you cleaned out the holes in the burn pot lately?

Could be a possibility....I did replace the gasket at the beginning of the season... But my thoughts are the pellets. Here is a thread that i posted back in late summer early fall
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57401/ My thought is that it really isnt a premium pellet. The bag doesnt say anything about premium, all it says is it meets PFI standards. This batch didnt meet premium standards so they sold it without the the anaylisis but it did meet the PFI standard. They are really stinkin ashy but they do burn and put heat out. I usually have to clean the stove about every 3rd day because the ash pan is running over the sides.

maglite67 said:
then try new pellets and report back

Have thought of that. If I get a chance I'll pickup something different. My selections are Heat Resource, Pennington, Tomorrow Energy(Pineywood) and OHP. Anyone thought on these?

I'm using Ozark Hardwood Pellets (OHP) Used them for 3 seasons. Never really had a problem until this batch I purchased. If you read the thread posted earlier it describes different packaging, etc...

Two major things could cause this
1.) bad pellets
2.) clogged exhaust or over your EVL on installation.

Wat does the exhaust consist of?

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Two major things could cause this
1.) bad pellets
2.) clogged exhaust or over your EVL on installation.

Wat does the exhaust consist of?

Eric

I have it exhausted horizontal with a 18 inch long pellet exhaust pipe. Also, I forgot to mention I did add an OAK at the beginning of the season. I did have left over OHP from last year and they really didnt ash up like these. I can run it all night and it doesnt always fill up with ash. It's like you never going to know when it's going to happen

when is the last time you opened the (looking at the stove) the right side access door on the exhaust and cleaned it? I have a Harman scrapper aimed at the door.

Eric

Attachments

• 2011-01-12_13-48-50_295 40.jpg
    2011-01-12_13-48-50_295 40.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 400
kinsman stoves said:
when is the last time you opened the (looking at the stove) the right side access door on the exhaust and cleaned it? I have a Harman scrapper aimed at the door.

Eric

About a week ago. It wasnt very full when I checked it.

I would have to blame the pellets then.

What setting are you running it on? Crappy pellets seem to burn better on high in my 1200i .

DBCOOPER said:
What setting are you running it on? Crappy pellets seem to burn better on high in my 1200i .

I always have it burning on high. Ash does shower out when pellets drop and I do have good air flow because I have a blue flame at the base of the fire. The just collects quickly on the sides. It just has lots of ash but just 52 bags to go!!!!

Did you clean the exhaust fan blades? When I took the fan out last i noticed mine had a small build up on the blades that can make a difference in the air flow also. Try getting out feed rate turned down also maybe it is feeding to many pellets and smothering the ones trying to burn.

Did you get behind the baffles and take the top baffle out and vac all that up ?? That will make the pot fill up faster with poor air flow..

Hank Hill said:
Did you get behind the baffles and take the top baffle out and vac all that up ?? That will make the pot fill up faster with poor air flow..

Yep, at every cleaning i always pull the baffles and vac and scrap the tubes and the plates, etc.... But came home from work this afternoon its been running on high most of the day and the bottom of the pot is pretty clean...but ash was stuck on the sides of the pot but the pot wasnt overflowing with ash......

After I burn for 24 hours before I clean the burn pot there is some ash on the sides, no big deal ... as long as its not filling up with pellets...

Status
Not open for further replies.