Classic Bay 1200 thermostat question, 24v or 12v - with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pberardi

Feb 21, 2015
Schwenksville, PA
I am chomping at the bit to light this thing..Just got it about a week ago and installed it tonight. Upgraded from an englander 55-SHP. The englander stove had the option to use a thermostat but it was not the greatest...would surge on and off so I opted to just use the feed settings.

This stove requires the thermostat be installed...I had a Honeywell thermostat that I used for my gas furnace.(pic attached) I am going to use this one for the pellet stove. I put the wires on W and R and connected them to my stove terminals. I just want to make sure the thermostat is the correct one for the pellet stove. Several of the posts online say the stove requires 24v, but my manual says 12v...and I have no idea what voltage my thermostat is. Also which setting should this be set on - Gas/Oil - Electric/Heat Pump?

I attached a picture of my pellet stock. Was able to secure 3 tons of Hamers for 250/pallet. Got a free ton of Lignetics with my stove. Hopefully 4 tons is enough for this winter :) Was not easy moving that by hand into the basement by myself.

Thermostat -

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Can't tell from the picture and not sure about that thermostat but it needs to me a millivolt . It doesn't look correct to me .
The settings would be heat and fan on . Does it allow for a swing set ?

Ok in that case I wouldn't use it . You want a swing set . It you could over fire the stove with short cycles .
I like the lux 500 unit ( it's a millivolt with swing set )
I set mine at 73 with a swing of 3 ( stove comes on at 70 shuts off at 76 )
There are many other units that will work but I found this unit to be the most cost affective (less than $20 if I recall )
I run mine on low with the feed gate almost all the way open ( I like longer run times ) gives a more even heat
It's a great stove ( I own 3 of them ) any questions feel free to ask

Hello
I had a Lux 1500u from Lowes set to manual (no program) with the swing setting set to 8 which is 2 Deg swing and connected to RH and W on my Quad. That worked great! Since then I upgraded to the Lowe's Iris T-Stat so I can turn it on with my Iphone! I luv that. ;em

The feed gate is inside of the hopper, the manual tells you you adjust it with the stove set on high so the flame comes out of the burn pot 4 to 6 inches.

Some people like to run their stoves on low not high, so they open their feed gate more.

Where did you buy your stove from?

Buy running it with the feed game wide open and heat setting on low . I get more even steady heat
( stove rungs longer )
Pellet consumption is about the same . Cb1200 in my opion is a great stove easy to clean and great heat

Ok cool, I was looking for a suggestion on which thermostat to buy. Ill run out and grab one tomorrow when I am at home depot. Feed Gate is the thing in the manual they talk about with the set screw and wing nut? I leave my stove on basically 24/7 so I will need to figure out which setting is the best low or high.

I bought my stove from Ambler Fireplace in Ambler, PA I have a feeling im going to be spoiled over the Englander.

Yes it's inside the hopper there is a wing nut you loosen to move the gate up an down .

Status
Not open for further replies.