classic bay insert just installed questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shyann

Oct 25, 2008
Western MA
we just had a classic bay insert installed so far I like it just a couple questions. I have it running on med and the thermostat set for 75. It seems to run and turn off in 15 minute cycles is this okay? Should I turn the thermostat up to keep it running more consistently? just not sure which is more efficient. Thanks for the help, Shyann

You could try setting the thermostat up just a little higher and see if it runs longer. It would probably be good to let it run for a while to get all the new smell out of there. I had to run mine for almost an hour when I had it installed to get all the oil smell out of the house.

Good luck

I guess all I could say to do is that after you get done with the "burn-in" of the stove, since it seems to heat your area very quickly on Med, would be to run it on low and see what happens then.....maybe raise the stat a few degrees.

Having the stove cycle on and off every 15 min. is going to burn out the ignitor prematurely. How big of an area are you heating with it?

turn the thermostat up all the way to burn off the chemical smell. With the cb1200, that may take a couple hours. How close is your thermostat to the unit? As far as burning out the ignitor, not if you keep it clean. Proper cleaning is the most important, (and neglected) part of owning a pellet stove. Take a spin to myour dealer and have then walk you throuygh the daily, yes daily, weekly, monthly and annual cleaning as quadrafire has set these guidelines for a reason.

NHenergy said:
....As far as burning out the ignitor, not if you keep it clean.....

So what your telling them is that if they keep the ignitor clean, no matter how many times you start the stove, it will NEVER burn out?.......hard to believe.

macman said:
NHenergy said:
....As far as burning out the ignitor, not if you keep it clean.....

So what your telling them is that if they keep the ignitor clean, no matter how many times you start the stove, it will NEVER burn out?.......hard to believe.
That is not what I said. Proper care will prevent unneccesary problems is what I was saying. This is the most common problem we come across, especially with Veteran wood burners. Pellet stoves require DAILY service.

NHenergy said:
That is not what I said. Proper care will prevent unneccesary problems is what I was saying. This is the most common problem we come across, especially with Veteran wood burners. Pellet stoves require DAILY service.

Actually, that is EXACTLY what you said.... "As far as burning out the ignitor, not if you keep it clean."

So which is it?

Look, just because you installed your stove wrong doesn't mean you should climb into me. I'm offering you advice. Take it or leave it but enough with the tantrum.

NHenergy said:
Look, just because you installed your stove wrong doesn't mean you should climb into me. I'm offering you advice. Take it or leave it but enough with the tantrum.

Hmmmm....a tad defensive, are we? BTW, I wasn't the one who installed the stove in this thread....pay attention.

NHenergy said:

Huh... are you just trying to jack up your posts by flaming? I certainly would look at the number of posts you have vs the number of posts of the other party before you get into an argument about the fact that he quoted EXACTLY what you said.

---scott

darkstar said:
NHenergy said:

Huh... are you just trying to jack up your posts by flaming? I certainly would look at the number of posts you have vs the number of posts of the other party before you get into an argument about the fact that he quoted EXACTLY what you said.

---scott

Scott, IMO, I think he wants to come across as the "all knowing, all seeing" dealer, so people will come to him for stoves. Unfortunately, he's been wrong here, and in another post about hearth installation, even going as far as incorrectly quoting an owner's manual for a stove he sells.

Anger management issues, IMO.

Or slow stove sales......

macman said:
darkstar said:
NHenergy said:

---scott

Scott, IMO, I think he wants to come across as the "all knowing, all seeing" dealer, so people will come to him for stoves. Unfortunately, he's been wrong here, and in another post about hearth installation, even going as far as incorrectly quoting an owner's manual for a stove he sells.

Anger management issues, IMO.

Somehow, that does not come as much of a surprise. Kinda seems like a troll jumped in...

Maybe if he sings the "I feel pretty" song, we can cut him some slack...

---scott

shyann said:
we just had a classic bay insert installed so far I like it just a couple questions. I have it running on med and the thermostat set for 75. It seems to run and turn off in 15 minute cycles is this okay? Should I turn the thermostat up to keep it running more consistently? just not sure which is more efficient. Thanks for the help, Shyann
i think the stoves tend to run best on high if the stove is doing a good job heating then it really should not make to much of a diffrence you may have to clean the stove a little more on med. or low but 15 min. seem like a quick cycle how long does it stay off for?

I run mine on medium and it fires about 15 minutes, puts out wicked heat, then another 15 minutes until the fan shuts off. The ignitor is warrantied for 2 years parts and labor, so no worries for me.

The dealer came and checked it. The coupler was loose and the thermostat needed tweaking. Now it runs great! I tend to leave the thermostat high so it will run constantly. Now I just need to get the heat out in the kitchen!

glad to hear you got it sorted out. you may want to try a doorway fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.