Classic Edge 560 Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SwabyEO4

Dec 25, 2022
Michigan
I have quite a bit of smoke leaking out around the door to my boiler and also quite a bit of condensation leaking out the door. This is only my second winter with this boiler. My other boiler was an old timber wolf boiler. I think it might be a cleaning and creosote issue? Any advice or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

20221209_153348.jpg 20221212_072201.jpg

I have quite a bit of smoke leaking out around the door to my boiler and also quite a bit of condensation leaking out the door. This is only my second winter with this boiler. My other boiler was an old timber wolf boiler. I think it might be a cleaning and creosote issue? Any advice or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 306216 View attachment 306217
A couple possibilities here.

1) If the smoke is coming out of only the left edge of the door, you may be able to get away with just tightening the door (the two pairs of nuts on the bolts on the hinge side of the door), otherwise

2) You need a new door seal gasket. I had to replace mine (on a 750HD) by the end of the first season. There are two styles of door gasket, one an insulated rope-gasket type and another that is a solid rectangular rubber(ish) style. Both work, the rubber one lasts longer in my experience, sellers seem to treat them as interchangeable. Contact your dealer or order online from a third party to get the replacement part. Removal is tough as you have to scrape away all the old door seal+caulk, much easier in summer than winter.

As for the condensation, hopefully that will go away once the door is better sealed, but you may need to burn lower-moisture wood to get rid of it. I've had smoke from my door seal but never condensation.

Edit to add: make sure you are using the scraper tool to scrape creosote and other gunk off of all the door contact points - the door itself where the existing gasket seal is, and the front (facing operator when loading) edges of the firebox, you may simply have some buildup there preventing a good seal.

Last edited:
What is the moisture content of the wood you are burning?