Classic firewood hauler needs some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My old Wheel Horse Raider 14 (early 1970's) badly needs a transmission fluid change. The manual calls for SAE 140 API Service GL-5. This must be an obsolete standard, as there is nothing with those specs available.

This is a manual transmission, and from what I can find online, gear oil is what I need. My question is, which gear oil would be a suitable substitute for SAE 140 API GL-5?

Also, when I have it in low gear range and am hauling a load of firewood down the slopes that make up my acreage, she slips out of gear into neutral, which adds some excitement, not in a good way. I am hopeful that flushing that old fluid out and replacing it will help with this issue. If anyone has any other thoughts about why this is happening, I am open to suggestions.

I doubt that an oil change will help jumping out of gear. Usually it is a wear issue.

The tranny for the 14 should be in this manual. Maybe some help.

The tranny for the 14 should be in this manual. Maybe some help.

Thank you, @BrotherBart ! I've received a lot of help here over the last year, but this takes the cake by a long shot. I have the owners manual and parts manual, and just yesterday afternoon was wondering if there was a service manual. Looking at the parts manual last night, I was certain that it would be a bad idea for me to try to take the transmission apart without a service manual. I'd get it apart just fine, but not back together. Problem solved, thanks to your kind help.

Status
Not open for further replies.