Classic Insert Baffle Mod w/pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgmr

Feeling the Heat
Jan 14, 2006
Central Indiana
After years of watching flames do a slight bend around the baffle and shoot right up the flue, I decided to experiment a bit to see if the dwell time could be increased. Originally there was a 4" opening between the top of the baffle and the top of the stove, which didn't do much to help retain heat in the stove.

The modification is simply a plate of steel (actually an old damper from a fireplace torn down last year) welded at an angle onto the existing baffle. This reduces the gap from 4" to approx 1.5" and forces the hot gases to take a much more convoluted path to reach the flue.

While I have only anecdotal evidence, it appears to have made a big difference in stove temp. Before the mod, the insert would generally be from 300-400F for most of a cycle. After the mod it is generally between 500-600F. I tried to keep my loading and operation methods the same. Not sure if the entire stove is actually getting hotter or if the heat is only being pushed forward and providing more heat to the door frame where thermometer is mounted.

It has caused a tiny amount of occasional smoke rollout when a door is opened all the way, but it would be easy enough to grind off the spot welds and lower the angle if it becomes a problem.

Cool! It is fun to experiment with minor tweaks and tunes to better adapt our stoves to our installations and conditions. I reckon that the baffle arrangement in any stove is a trade-off between dwell time and draft/smoke roll-out; you presumably have enough draft to support a some extra path length and to keep smoke roll-out from being a problem.

I myself had the opposite problem with my Avalon Pendleton (short chimney, not enough draft, smoke roll-out) so I put my plate of steel between the smoke path and the airwash, effectively shortening the firebox opening and encouraging the smoke to curl around the baffle and go up, rather than out the front.

Careful though... once you get this mod tuned to your satisfaction, I predict you'll start musing about how easy it would be to plumb secondary air to the front of that baffle... (as I have been musing about my old pre-EPA Jotul Model 8).

Eddy

p.s. it wasn't the smoke that bothered me on the Pendleton, it was the fly ash that came with it and settled in a dusty layer on the mantle.

EddyKilowatt said:
Careful though... once you get this mod tuned to your satisfaction, I predict you'll start musing about how easy it would be to plumb secondary air to the front of that baffle... (as I have been musing about my old pre-EPA Jotul Model 8).

You must be clairvoyant!! I was musing before this mod. :)

It's much easier to carry a 30# baffle to the garage for welding than a 400# stove! Might have to bring the mig into the house for some in-situ welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.