1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clay and Wool?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by DevilsBrew, Jun 13, 2013.

1. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

So I was watching this thread based on a Kuznetsov Stove and the guy is making a plaster out of clay and wool. Wool? Huh?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Wool has some insulative value and is fire retardent. It also may be used to as a binder to hold the clay together. Sort of like straw added to clay to make cob.

That is one nice looking heater btw.
    ScotO and Adios Pantalones like this.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    If it gets hot enough, the wool will burn out, leaving a network of voids. That essentially turns the clay into an insulating fire brick. The wool will help it stay in place until it dries, just like the fibers in old horse hair plaster.

Kiln builders make insulating castable using clay, sand, a little cement, and a large proportion of sawdust or chopped straw. Wool would be expensive, unless you are repurposing it.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. DevilsBrew

Great info. I like to double check on things I see and not take everything for granted. I am wondering if there is a quality difference between using straw and wool.

It is a nice sized stove.
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I think the straw being hollow would give more air voids and a better insulating value. Wool being fire retardent may give a little more strengh. AP nailed it in the explanation above.

That heater would look great with a glass door on the front.
  6. Foragefarmer

Foragefarmer Member

Loc:
    Central, Virginia
    Not always, My GF spins and knits and she gets a fair amount of free fleece off Craigslist. You would also have the benefit of sheep poop as an additional binding agent._g
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  7. DevilsBrew

I will pass on the sheep poop. :)

Yes, glass doors are a must.