Clay Flue Chimney Cap Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
I have a square clay chimney flue with a black wire chimney cap that I purchase at the home depot. I feel like the draft is fine but when the smoke hits the top of that cap it is forced downward and hovers around the roof for a while. Is there a type of cap that would allow the smoke to continue in an upward direction?
Do I need a cap? Maybe I am better off without one?

What you're describing is probably more a function of temperature than chimney cap. Under certain conditions (temperature, humidity, weather) air will rise more or less easily than other days. It's called atmospheric stability and it's the reason we have fog/smog some days and not others. Wait for a good cold clear day. You'll see the difference.

Well in the old neighbourhoods here in Victoria, BC most of the houses have no caps on the chimneys. Our climate is similar to Seattle's, so lots of rain in the winter. I often wonder about all the rain that comes down the chimney, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Strange but there seems to be no problem.

I didnt have a cap on it for a few years and decided to put one on figuring rain goiong inside couldnt be to good for it but like one of you said it never seemed to hurt anything.

The temperature seems to be logical afterall it is in the 50/'s during the day and 30's at night. I'll check it out once some cooler weather comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.