clay sewer pipe help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes,saw that same episode, it is to reline old pipes with out the need to dig it all up. But op is still going to have to go after the junction unit in the floor.

You can reline a pipe in some cases. It won't work if the original pipe isn't large enough due to being squashed, broken, GROSSLY misaligned, or filled with roots. It pretty much only works when there are holes in a nice pipe and even then you will get a reduction in diameter.

You can reline a pipe in some cases. It won't work if the original pipe isn't large enough due to being squashed, broken, misaligned, or filled with roots. It pretty much only works when there are holes in a nice pipe and even then you will get a reduction in diameter.

I watched that episode on-line at "Ask This Old House." It appears to be designed for misalignments, as that's where MOST root penetrations occur...If they can get a snake thru & clean out all the blockage, it'll still work. The reduction in diameter looked to be about 1/4 total (1/8" on a side), so I doubt the repair will impact the drainage capabilities. If the repair passes thru a "Tee" or a "Wye," it can be drilled thru to recreate the opening, but I can see where that can lead to additional difficulties. I've been trying to call a friend of mine who is a plumbing contractor to see if he can indicate what the price might be...

You can reline a pipe in some cases. It won't work if the original pipe isn't large enough due to being squashed, broken, GROSSLY misaligned, or filled with roots. It pretty much only works when there are holes in a nice pipe and even then you will get a reduction in diameter.

True and if you have a 40's era house and have orangeberg pipe like mine did then no amount of reline would work. I had mine dug out and I couldn't beleive how much it looked like cast pipe in the areas where it was still intact. But it was just carboard tubes covered in pitch or tar, no iron to be had during the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.