Clay tile liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Feb 28, 2010
Western NY
This past year was my first with a wood stove. I have an old Glacier Bay cast iron insert.
It did a nice job heating the entire house when I got it going, but the burn would not last long and I would have to load it a lot, probably because it is inefficient. Plus there is no window to see the fire which I hate. It has a clay tile chimney liner.

If I replace it with a new stove would I also need to replace the clay tile liner?

If you buy a new wood burning insert that qualifies for the federal 30% tax rebate that would be a good time to line your chimney. Theres a million threads on these forums that talk about why lining a chimney is good or when it would be mandatory. Do a search for "chimney liner" or "lining chimney" You'll have a weeks worth of reading. Depending on how far west in New York you are, I may be able to steer you in the right direction as far as a new insert goes. Feel free to PM me if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.