Clayton 1600M Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbren

Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I have installed the furnace with the ductwork, and seems to be working. However, the true heat of the furnace didn't kick in until I had our other furnace blower on. My question now is, how do I wire the other furnace blower to blow at the same time as the blower on the back of my 1600M? The air circulation is MUCH better that way.

Thank you, David

rwbren said:
I have installed the furnace with the ductwork, and seems to be working. However, the true heat of the furnace didn't kick in until I had our other furnace blower on. My question now is, how do I wire the other furnace blower to blow at the same time as the blower on the back of my 1600M? The air circulation is MUCH better that way.

Thank you, David

You just tie both blowers into the same fan/limit/blower control relay. Just make sure of the amp rating on it. You also put a relay inbetween if amp draw exceeded the rating.

How did you join the two plenums into common ductwork? That can be a big problem unless you build a one-way backflow preventer.

I installed a baffle into the existing plenum. I am not convinced it is working correctly however. It is just a piece of metal that angles out and away from the ductwork coming from the wood furnace. When the old furnace was running before I had the wood furnace on, the ductwork above the wood furnace was warming up - indicating to me that it wasn't working how I intended. How would you build one different that what I have?

rwbren said:
I installed a baffle into the existing plenum. I am not convinced it is working correctly however. It is just a piece of metal that angles out and away from the ductwork coming from the wood furnace. When the old furnace was running before I had the wood furnace on, the ductwork above the wood furnace was warming up - indicating to me that it wasn't working how I intended. How would you build one different that what I have?

I still don't fully understand what you've done. Have you tried to add a backup hot-air furnace to another hot-air furnace with shared heat ducts? If so, you need some sort of back-flow preventer. Here's a diagram of it done correctly with a parallel furnace hook-up. Also some photos of how it's often done wrong.

Attachments

• wood furnace add on.jpg
    wood furnace add on.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 2,721
  • wood furnace add on bad.jpg
    wood furnace add on bad.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 862
Status
Not open for further replies.