Clayton model 1600 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmriggs

Sep 19, 2015
central indiana
I have what I think is an older Clayton 1600. The forced draft blower, seems to be of the older style with a flapper like a baro, instead of the sliding lid to cover the intake port of the blower.
Should I try to modify or replace this? It has a counterweight like a baro but, seems like it doesn't seal off completely if shutting down for the night.
I really don't like to let it smolder but, as I'm gone for 13 hrs a day, it's hard not to and keep some coals at least when I get home. Also not real sure how much wood I can safely load at any given time? I realize combustion requires oxygen, fuel and heat but, want to make sure I can control a firebox( big at that), full of seasoned wood before I get carried away.
Right now, I burn smaller and hotter fires and throw on a couple of nice splits before bed or before work and close her down.
I know this furnace is capable of throwing out a lot of heat but I guess I'm hesitant to fill it up for a longer burn.
It vents into about 20 feet of insulated stainless steel liner and transitions into about 9 feet of double wall stainless chimney. All vertical and straight. Just curious for opinions
Thanks

The thing that's scary on a lot of those older us stove / Clayton furnaces is the fans can die without warning . One of the most common gripes about them aside from eating wood like candy ..you got a giant 7cubic feet of firebox full of raging fire and no way to cool it down so it can easily overheat melting the paint off the sides turning the steel white ,warping baffles melting down shaker grates and igniting creosote setting off a chimney fire . It can be very dangerous if it happens while your at work or asleep . It's something to watch for

You can install a heat dump on the plenum for when the power goes out. Opens door when power goes out and helps remove heat from the system. Just a thought. I believe they are on the yukon website.

Status
Not open for further replies.