clean bill of health!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longboarder2

Feb 14, 2012
southern NJ
well, since my chimney/2nd floor fire last year i've been revamping my wood boiler program---with a lot of help from the forum. weve been burning since just before thanksgiving. mostly at night (from 3p to midnight) and in the mornings, 5a until 10a. usually burn a heaped wheelbarrow (about 30 splits) from 4p until 930 the next morning----not bad i think to heat approx. 3200 sq. ft. with domestic hot water for family of 5.

had a chimney sweep here on friday just to be cautious and check out mid-season conditions.

he made two passes with the brush. 30 ft. of all fuel and the smoke pipe on the back of the boiler yielded about a coffee can of ultra fine very dark gray/black soot. no flakes, nothing shiny, no chunks. the soot was so fine it was like talc powder. some white/light gray ash was mixed in as well. around 1/8" of fine gray ashy buildup in the appliance and the topper was nice and clear, but black from soot.
he came off the ladder and said keep up the good work.

Reactions: NovaScotian and pen
Status
Not open for further replies.