Clean burn help questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So far from what you have posted, you are doing ok. You are ahead of the game with having dry wood. When you do the first chimney cleaning you will get a better idea of how the stove is burning. Maybe clean it after burning a cord of wood.

Ok thank you it is driving me crazy I get the liner temps good and the stove top good a nice fire going go out side and check and its smoking. So I fo back to the stove and just crack it a little more and it's a inferno lol. No smoke but she starts to get hot . I'm kinda paranoid and very new to this so I end just babysitting it most of the time. I cant seem to find that sweet spot. I did check the back of the stove it was built on 06 and the epa tag said the 90s so I'm sure a lot has changed in the way stoves are built and preform since then. This insert was just installed because we had it and I figured it would be a good start to see if I liked burning wood so a up grade in the next few years will probably happen.

All wood stoves will smoke on occasion. Sometime its hard to distinguish smoke from steam as well. If your secondaries are lit up ,thats as good as your going to get.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I would imagine with one burn tube...especially towards the front of the stove....only so much of the smoke is going to be reburned. I would be pretty satisfied to have secondaries like your pictures show.

I would imagine with one burn tube...especially towards the front of the stove....only so much of the smoke is going to be reburned. I would be pretty satisfied to have secondaries like your pictures show.

Thank you. I figured out if indont want smoke it has to be hot allmost to hot. But with a decent crusing fire it smokes. I cant find a sweet spot for a low fire with no smoke

Thank you. I figured out if indont want smoke it has to be hot allmost to hot. But with a decent crusing fire it smokes. I cant find a sweet spot for a low fire with no smoke
You may have the wrong stove for a complete smoke free operation. I sometimes get smoke with even 4 reburn tubes secondaries going and dry wood in my Englander stoves. My downdraft Stove however just about never smokes once its in reburn as 100% of the flue gas is forced thru the hot Reburn chamber.

Getting long burn times requires more wood and less primary air. That's also the combination for smoke when your stove's reburn system is only a third of other stoves.
If your goal is the longest possible burns, then accept that it'll smoke.
If your goal is no smoke, smaller loads and more frequent loading may be required.

Getting long burn times requires more wood and less primary air. That's also the combination for smoke when your stove's reburn system is only a third of other stoves.
If your goal is the longest possible burns, then accept that it'll smoke.
If your goal is no smoke, smaller loads and more frequent loading may be required.

I think that's were I'm at. I just have to figure its going to smoke and not much I can do about it. Why is smoke such a bad thing?

Don't worry about the smoke. On my cat stove I can have smoke at 1,100 or no smoke at 700. It all depends on size, type, and moisture content of the wood and the phase of burn it's in. The cat is working through all of it. You can only control so much.

I think that's were I'm at. I just have to figure its going to smoke and not much I can do about it. Why is smoke such a bad thing?
Pollution and if the flue is too cool it can condense as creosote.

Pollution and if the flue is too cool it can condense as creosote.

I keep the flue at good temperatures. I probably spend way to much time checking it just to make sure. I was thinking smoke no matter what the flue temp was would make creosote. So as long as my temps are good nothing bad will happen ?