clean cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
Well after a successful season of burning (as defined by "my wife hasn't divorced me and I didn't burn down the house") I am cleaning up the stove. It's cast iron and invariably has a light rust ring on top where we kept the steamer.

Do I use stove polish to make it pretty or is there a brass brush or similar I should be reaching for?

Try some steel wool.

I'd use a toothbrush and rub some stove polish into it. Then I would get a trivet for the steamer next year (or cut a piece of tile)

pen

Actually I bought a trivet and assumed the little rubber feet were made for something hot.

They melted to the top of the stove and made a real mess.

I rub it down with a soft brass brush, wash the area to get rid of the loose stuff and then hit it with a few light coats of hi temp blk spray.

Back when we sold the stove top trivets that were sold to hearth retailers to be put on wood stoves, they still have the little rubber feet on them. We would pull em off before the customer walked out the door with them.

pen said:
I'd use a toothbrush and rub some stove polish into it. Then I would get a trivet for the steamer next year (or cut a piece of tile)

pen

I agree with the trivet or piece of tile. However, I like to give my stove a coat of paint every year, so I steel wool any rust and spray.

My blask cast iron looks like shat after just a few years of burning. Unfortunately, the cast iron is only a skeleton holding the slabs of stone together. I hate to think about using 3 rolls of masking tape to try and hide the stone, then missing a spot and painting the stone black.

pen said:

pen

PS don't use the wife's toothbrush or guaranteed you'll have one of the two things you avoided this past winter. And neither one is good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.