Clean chimney before reline?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuckeye

Nov 18, 2006
Is it absolutely nessasary to clean chimney before I reline w/ stainless flex? I have never cleaned a chimney and would not know how to do it properly. I could maybe figure out how to do the actual flue but what about all the brick on the smoke shelf? I would rather just put the liner in and then worry about keeping liner clean. Let me know what you think.

Brad

The whole pointof the liner saftey wise is to keep any fires inside the UL listed steel.

If you can get up there with a good brush, a shop vac and a mask (I was lucky and had a large space to work in once I got the damper out) you can do it yourself. If you can't pay the $100+ to get it out... so you don't have an unexploded land mine sitting up there.

Yes clean it
If you do not get the creosote off the walls of the chimney the heat from the liner could cause a chimney fire between your liner and you original Chimney.
this would be BAD if you had the Top of the chimney sealed off with a chase cap.

I had the chimney cleaned by the installers before they dropped in the SS liner a few weeks ago. It was in need of cleaning down by the firebox despite a relatively clean top section. I was worried about the bomb between the SS liner and the clay liner as well as possible smells and chunks falling down.

Cleanings around here are 110.00 Now that should include all the brick in the smoke shelf area right? And how clean should it look when he is finished? I assume I should check his work. And would it be out of line to ask him while he was up there how much it would cost to drop the liner down or is this really something I should be able to do? The only problem is the damper area, other than that its a straight shot down. Rockford chimney said it comes with instructions and that he was not an installer so would not be any help to me. My question was how do you cut it to length? Connect it to stove and cut at the chimney?

Heck no, ask away. The sweep is providing you with a service and will add on for dropping the liner. If the sweep is a good one, you and he (or she) should be able to work together. The job always goes faster with one on the top and one on the bottom. (no comments from the peanut gallery)

just wondering how many people change their oil and leave a dirty oil filter?

OK, Dylan isn't here so I will say it. If you can't clean a chimney and the smoke shelf you don't have any business installing a chimney liner and a wood stove. Period.

How are you venting that Buck 51 now?

My model 51 vents right into the chimney. i have the factory surround kit, wich according to manual, is ok. It drafts ok but if not careful when opening door will spill out smoke. I am sure I can clean a stainless liner once I have a liner installed, I just have no idea how the clean the bricks of the smoke shelf. I will pay some one to do that, but after the liner I think I could do it from there out.

BrotherBart said:
OK, Dylan isn't here so I will say it. If you can't clean a chimney and the smoke shelf you don't have any business installing a chimney liner and a wood stove. Period.

How are you venting that Buck 51 now?

That was not very nice?

We install inserts and liners for a living.
We will brush out a clean a Moderately dirty chimney before install.
BUT if the Chimney is really dirty (Creosote build up) I have the homeowner CALL A SWEEP FIRST.
We are not chimney sweeps and do not have all the Cleaning Tools they do (or the time) for I am a Installing HVAC/ Hearth products contractor NOT A CHIMNEY SWEEP.

I dont mind the critisism, hes probably right about not doing install. But I found if you take your time and do things yourself, sometimes you do a better job. I guarantee you if I even remotely new how to clean a chimney I would do a much better job than someone that comes out for a 100.00 no matter how quick it goes. Now there are exceptions. I have found some people that did really good work for me, but several that had not.

elkimmeg said:
Hey Elk ,that's strange you didn't mention a block off plate :coolsmirk:

budman said:
elkimmeg said:
Hey Elk ,that's strange you didn't mention a block off plate :coolsmirk:

you know repeating things over and over gets tiring also its ok to slip up. if I miss something, it is good to hear that others have heard the message

well on the topic it is also gratifying to know, that some information is being put to good use besides one's puying Ryobi Splitter some Vc stovesand looking at their homes in terms of buttoning them up. plus maybe being a bit safer

elkimmeg said:

Or put on a nice change of clothes with the underwear they worked in all day

I have a similar situation. I had a liner put in and did not clean the chimney before putting the liner in. I've yet to hook up a wood stove but, after reading a number of threads here, I'm debating if I need to pull out (and probably ruin) the liner (rigid stainless steel) and have the chimney cleaned. Let me add a few facts. I'm restoring an 1880 era vacation home in Canada. As part of the restoration, we changed the roof pitch back to the original 12/12 pitch and, at the same time, we added about 6 feet to the existing chimney. Since the scaffold was already there, I had the mason put in the liner but the liner was really an afterthought and getting a roof on the house seemed more important, at the time. I don't know if it's relevant but the home had almost been abondoned when we purchased it and, at this point, the chimney has not been used for at least 15 years. Would the creasote have deteriorated over that time period? Any thoughts from folks here at Hearth would be appreciated. Thank you.
Chip Tam

firebuckeye said:
I dont mind the critisism, hes probably right about not doing install. But I found if you take your time and do things yourself, sometimes you do a better job. I guarantee you if I even remotely new how to clean a chimney I would do a much better job than someone that comes out for a 100.00 no matter how quick it goes. Now there are exceptions. I have found some people that did really good work for me, but several that had not.

Apologies firebuckey. My post was totally out of line.

In the situation described below, would it matter if the liner were insulated? That is, even if the chimney weren't totally clean, wouldn't the insulation protect the surrounding flue tiles with creosote, etc.

I cleaned my chimney real well before installing my insulated liner. However, after doing so, I did wonder whether I really needed to since my liner was wrapped in insulation. Seems like an uninsulated liner in a dirty chimney would be a disaster, but what about an insulated one?

ChipTam said:
I have a similar situation. I had a liner put in and did not clean the chimney before putting the liner in. I've yet to hook up a wood stove but, after reading a number of threads here, I'm debating if I need to pull out (and probably ruin) the liner (rigid stainless steel) and have the chimney cleaned. Let me add a few facts. I'm restoring an 1880 era vacation home in Canada. As part of the restoration, we changed the roof pitch back to the original 12/12 pitch and, at the same time, we added about 6 feet to the existing chimney. Since the scaffold was already there, I had the mason put in the liner but the liner was really an afterthought and getting a roof on the house seemed more important, at the time. I don't know if it's relevant but the home had almost been abondoned when we purchased it and, at this point, the chimney has not been used for at least 15 years. Would the creasote have deteriorated over that time period? Any thoughts from folks here at Hearth would be appreciated. Thank you.
Chip Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.