Clean Chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
Yes, I will be purchasing a wood moisture meter. This year for the first time, I have 2-5 year seasoned wood. Any suggestions for a collar or thimble where the pipe goes up to the chimney? Right now it's just shoved through. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

You may have better luck on an answer in the wood stove section of the forum. Looks like a very nice stove!

thank you. Perhaps someone can move me over?

Beam him up Scotty.

Your chimney needs a full height stainless steel liner, and a proper connection to the appliance and a properly constructed/sealed block-off plate where it looks like it's just jammed through...through what? What is that thing that looks like some sort of filter element? I'm assuming all these pics are sideways, so that means the stove pipe goes vertically up from the stove, takes a 90° to the rear, then another 90° to get jammed up into the flue through whatever that thing is...is that correct? There's some serious fixin' to do here to make this a solid, safe, efficient, maintainable installation. Rick

hard to tell does that flue run straight up from that elbow? if so it should have a tee on the bottom not an elbow. But that would not cause more buildup. First how is you wood seasoned? Is it cut split and covered for that long? If so it should not be a problem with the wood. Is there anywhere that air can get into that flue? What size is the flue? I though it looked like a 7 by 7 but hard to tell how tall is it we need more details

Thanks for moving my post to the proper forum.

This is a vertical rise in a rather massive hearth 7' high. What looks like an "element" is a concrete and wire mesh that a metal collar sits up inside to the tile lined chimney. The stove pipe comes off the top at the rear of the stove and I have a couple of 45's to the chimney that is offset to the right of the hearth. Long story short, I'm getting a quote for a liner. I'm guessing flex with some sort of cleanout. Thank you for the replies. Learn lots from you folks (with some humility on my part).

Low and behold, my mason was next door today giving a quote on another job. got a quote to replace chimney crown, install 25' stainless, cap and inside "T" with cleanout for @$1200. Feeling better about this!

Sounds like a decent price just make sure he knows what he is doing when it comes to chimneys many masons don't. He might be very good but id check

Ageed. He's a local guy with a great reputation I have used before. Including the mason, all that view my hearth agree it's one funky unit. I half think that it started out as a fireplace and they changed their mind. It also has a massive base to it in the basement.

Last edited:
Well good that is the right solution just make sure he insulates it

Hi bholler, as an internal chimney, how important is it to insulate? I understand it is the desired way to go, but the tile clay is fine and I see opinions on both sides on this. Thanks

I see in my above post I indicated foundation, not basement.

Hi bholler, as an internal chimney, how important is it to insulate? I understand it is the desired way to go, but the tile clay is fine and I see opinions on both sides on this. Thanks
Just did a search and got my answer... might be tight with suggested 1/2 inch. I'm not busting any tiles to insulate.

might be tight with suggested 1/2 inch. I'm not busting any tiles to insulate.

That is what we do on any that insulation wont fit it is required unless you have 2" of clearance to combustibles because it is an interior chimney. Many dont do it but it really is required for ul listing and code

That is what we do on any that insulation wont fit it is required unless you have 2" of clearance to combustibles because it is an interior chimney. Many dont do it but it really is required for ul listing and code
Thanks boholler, I very much respect your knowledge and in my search, found many of yours and others responses to insulation. Just like my recent pellet install in to an internal fireplace, they sealed the top and bottom plate with uninsulated flex. I will most likely do the same on the wood stove. If I had a larger flu, I would consider otherwise. I believe I have a 7x7 flu? And will have a 6" flex. I know for sure that I need to do something over my current setup and it is you and others that made me realize this. I'm a weekend warrior at home and a CPA by profession. On the home front, I don't profess to know what the experts know. But I have many a friend in the business of home improvement and with this thread, feel very fortunate!

Pellet vents are not required to be insulated I am sure it will work ok not insulted and chances are nothing will happen because it is not. I just have to let people know that in order to be to code it needs to be insulated if someone chooses to do it otherwise that is up to them. We will not install an uninsulated liner though

Pellet vents are not required to be insulated I am sure it will work ok not insulted and chances are nothing will happen because it is not. I just have to let people know that in order to be to code it needs to be insulated if someone chooses to do it otherwise that is up to them. We will not install an uninsulated liner though
If I may, is this local or national code?

Those clearance requirements are in IRC and the insulation requirements are stated in the ul listings of the liners. All codes i have ever seen have stated that you need to comply with manufacturers instructions and the ul requirements. I do not think it is specifically stated in the code books that liners need to be insulated but no liners are rated to zero clearance without it.

Yea thats a bit scary. I usually measure my creosote in ounces in a 32 oz folgers coffee can. And even then I can fill about 1-2 cans every 3 months which seems to be a bit excessive imo. I can't imagine measuring my creosote in wheelbarrows...

I clean annually and for me too, this was a bit much. I have issues of draft and perhaps burning not so dry wood. To address both for safe and efficient operation, I am having chimney flex installed and I also purchased a moisture meter.

It takes a while to learn your own stove, I have decided to sweep every 2 cords (probably over kill), for me this means sweeping halfway through the winter, cheap insurance!

Actually, I cleaned 2x per season as well. Last season however, I got the pellet stove in March and got lazy on the second cleaning thinking I wasn't burning as much wood. the new liner will have a cleanout so should be a breeze this season. Before, I would have to move the stove, pull the pipe and get on the roof.

Well, the liner and T connection is in...also have cleanout. This is a vertical rise for a hearth, kinda weird but put in this way when house built.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great, and should make cleaning from the T up a snap!
How will you clean from the stove to the T?

Status
Not open for further replies.