Clean Flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I went to a customers house to clean his flue last week, he said he had it cleaned last year but he only had one fire since because it smoked up his house so bad. I asked all the normal questions thinking he had a pressure problem, then I got on the roof and this is what I found. The other so-called chimney sweep didn't get on the roof, cleaned it with a viper and called it good. That is why it is always a good idea to get on the roof if at all possible.

Attachments

• creosote.jpg
    creosote.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 296
Yuk. Hard to believe a pro-sweep left that mess. Hope these folks will be burning cleaner this year.

webby3650 said:
I went to a customers house to clean his flue last week, he said he had it cleaned last year but he only had one fire since because it smoked up his house so bad. I asked all the normal questions thinking he had a pressure problem, then I got on the roof and this is what I found. The other so-called chimney sweep didn't get on the roof, cleaned it with a viper and called it good. That is why it always a good idea to get on the roof if at all possible.

Holy crap Batman that's a point for doing it yourself!!! What exactly is a viper besides being a venomous snake? Thinking this snake was blind lol...

Ray

raybonz said:
webby3650 said:
I went to a customers house to clean his flue last week, he said he had it cleaned last year but he only had one fire since because it smoked up his house so bad. I asked all the normal questions thinking he had a pressure problem, then I got on the roof and this is what I found. The other so-called chimney sweep didn't get on the roof, cleaned it with a viper and called it good. That is why it always a good idea to get on the roof if at all possible.

Holy crap Batman that's a point for doing it yourself!!! What exactly is a viper besides being a venomous snake? Thinking this snake was blind lol...

Ray
A Viper is a tool a pro would use, it is a coiled fiberglass rod usually 65' in length.

webby3650 said:
raybonz said:
webby3650 said:

Ray
A Viper is a tool a pro would use, it is a coiled fiberglass rod usually 65' in length.

Thanx for the FYI ....

Ray

Franks said:
Hope a lot of homeowners see this thread

I hope a lot of "pros" see this thread. The guy just pushed the crud right up into the cap and the Viper just did a nice job of distributing into the screen.

Egads . . . very bad . . . and shame on the chimney sweep.

I do cleaning from the bottom . . . but I always make a point to visually inspect the cap and screen to make sure it's not all gunked up.

webby3650 said:
I went to a customers house to clean his flue last week, he said he had it cleaned last year but he only had one fire since because it smoked up his house so bad. I asked all the normal questions thinking he had a pressure problem, then I got on the roof and this is what I found. The other so-called chimney sweep didn't get on the roof, cleaned it with a viper and called it good. That is why it is always a good idea to get on the roof if at all possible.

A viper? I thought hearth.com was advocating cleaning out chimneys with ferrets . . . have we progressed to using snakes now instead of ferrets? ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.