clean glass, and 2ndary burn questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
been burning the F3 for a couple days now - i'm still new to wood stoves (well, i growed up with 'em, but never had one as an adult til this one). Still not comfortable getting too hot with it, been backing it down once it gets to 500-550 (stove top). I know, rookie stuff :).. I'll get there though.
couple unrelated questions:
1> glass is staying amazingly clean even with a couple starts/stops - can i infer this mean MC is low, or my air/fuel habits are probably ok?
2> i see 2ndary burn only a couple times, seems about 500* or so...is that about where i should see it? doesn't last too long though, i'm sure i'm doing something wrong...

1>Yes sounds like it
2>Depends on a few things. The secondaries are the gasses and smoke burning, if you have a smaller load and the air is open long enough that the wood outgasses enough the secondaries might not last long - not a big deal.

>2: that sounds very possible, burning too small..since i posted, i loaded more and got longer 2ndary. This F3 has a small firebox, still learning my way around the tight quarters without leaning on glass or baffle..

Sounds like you are doing just fine bostock. Happy heating and don't be afraid to take that temperature another 100 degrees.

It sounds fine to me, too.

One thing I remember vividly from my first year, is that I was leery of burning to hot. A thermometer helped me immensely in learning how to burn the Pacific. I wasn't burning any where near as hot as I could, or should.

bostock said:
been burning the F3 for a couple days now - i'm still new to wood stoves (well, i growed up with 'em, but never had one as an adult til this one). Still not comfortable getting too hot with it, been backing it down once it gets to 500-550 (stove top). I know, rookie stuff :).. I'll get there though.
couple unrelated questions:
1> glass is staying amazingly clean even with a couple starts/stops - can i infer this mean MC is low, or my air/fuel habits are probably ok? Depends . . . having clean glass could mean you have good wood and you're running it hot enough and have proper air control . . . it's just one clue . . . good sustained secondaries and very little creosote round out the trifecta for clean and efficient burning . . . well that and little to no visible smoke from the chimney. Having clean glass is generally a good sign . . . but it's just one sign . . . for example if I ran my air open all the way I could burn semi-seasoned or even green wood without the glass sooting up . . . of course this would not be efficient, the chimney may gunk up and I suspect there would be a bunch of visible smoke.

2> i see 2ndary burn only a couple times, seems about 500* or so...is that about where i should see it? doesn't last too long though, i'm sure i'm doing something wrong...I see secondaries anywhere between 400 and up . . . generally the hotter it is the better and longer the secondaries last . . . keeping them going is part having good wood (i.e. seasoned), part timing (letting the wood ignite and be nicely charred, not closing down the air too soon) and part air control (i.e. not closing it too much or too early.)

Status
Not open for further replies.