Clean glass door often and burn a lot of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have the manufacturer's documentation for the stove (Owner's Installation/Operating Manual)? If not, you're missing a very important part of your system. A bit of looking around online may well get you a downloaded copy. I strongly recommend getting your hands on one and reading it thoroughly. Rick

Rick I read it but didn't give specific detail on turning down the air etc for the secondary burners. Still don't get the secondary burners what is it like a "gas stove" type of thing on the top of the wood stove?

You can still get the heritage manual online at hearthstone. The manual tells you to monitor surface temps on the top center stone.

The heritage is not a cat stove. You can not control the secondary burn system, it is automatic and is nothing to be concerned with.

If your chimney meets the minimum spec and your door glass is getting dark then you either have a leaky door gasket (unlikely) or are burning wet/green wood which is very likely your issue. You can't force this stove to burn dirty unless your fuel is improper.

These modern stoves like full fireboxes of small split wood. Like 4" splits which is much smaller than most people realize. Keep shoving dry small splits into this stove in full loads and turn down the intake air as soon as you can while not snuffing the fire and you will get a hot and clean burn that will keep the window clean.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 187
Thanks highbeam....think I have been putting in to big of pieces and at times chocking the fire. BOY HAVE I LEARNED A LOT TODAY!

Highbeam what do you use to the clean the stone? Around the front door is dirty along with the side door.

RORY12553 said:
...Still don't get the secondary burners what is it like a "gas stove" type of thing on the top of the wood stove?

Oh no, secondary burn technology simply has to do with directing the flow of gases through the stove. Rather than just bringing in combustion air and burning the fuel and sending the resulting flue gases directly up the chimney to daylight, secondary combustion takes advantage of the fact that a good deal of those gases remain combustible. So, rather than just throwing them away, they are delayed in their travel by some sort of baffle arrangement, and then secondary combustion air is introduced so that those combustible products of the existing fire will be burned while still in the firebox. Secondary combustion typically requires that the fuel load be burning nicely before dialing down the primary air. The result is much more complete combustion of the fuel and much cleaner (lower emissions) stack gases released to the atmoshpere. Rick

I have to tell you guys you have been a great help. Only been in the house a few months but like the stove, splitting wood and all that stuff and the more I learn the better.

Thanks guys!

RORY12553 said:
I have to tell you guys you have been a great help. Only been in the house a few months but like the stove, splitting wood and all that stuff and the more I learn the better.

Thanks guys!

Your are very welcome and welcome to the forums if you haven't been welcomed yet! Cheers!

RORY12553 said:
Highbeam what do you use to the clean the stone? Around the front door is dirty along with the side door.

The only thing I've ever used to clean the stove is a sponge with water. Really only dust was removed. What is your stove dirty with? Is it black soot? I have never had any of that outside of the door gaskets. Shoved about 25 cords through this heritage and only open the front door every couple of months for a deep cleaning.

I have actually worn out the side door hinge system.

It's a little dirty but isn't as bad as i thought after looking at it closer last night. The side door on mine doesn't close very well either and i'm not sure if it becasue of the handle or the hinge isn't catching well enough. Going to have someone from the dealer come look at the stove

The weakness of this stove is the side door frame. The latch assembly is a very hokey design that will wear out and require major stove disassembly to replace. Turns out, the hinges wear easily as well and same deal.... major disassembly to fix. Let us know what the dealer says. The techs that are familiar with stone stoves seem to be able to really fix them up easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.