Clean glass (for me anyhow)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wkpoor said:
HotCoals said:
Right guys..you never get a dirty window!
I bought some Eco-Bricks and did a fire with them and still got some brown smoke on the glass.
But that's another whole story.
You got it. I might not get 30hr burn times but the glass stays clean as the glass on my house period. In the last month I got a haze so light you had to do a test clean to tell anything was there. And it stays this clean all the time, startup , mid burn, burn down. Any kind of wood it just don't matter. And from a dirt cheap stove sold at the box store.

I saw those at TSC farm supply store,was wondering how they perform can i ask ,who makes it and where ,what did you pay, what does it weigh. I have a KIng stove
from US stove that i dont use anymore cuz of its short burntime 2-3 hours.

I saw those at TSC farm supply store,was wondering how they perform can i ask ,who makes it and where ,what did you pay, what does it weigh. I have a KIng stove
I bought mine 3 yrs ago. Paid close to what they are now~700.00. Performance is pretty good and from reading this forum on par with the Englander. They are made in China, Englander is made in USA so if I had it to do again I would look more towards that one. I like the looks of the Magnolia a little better but thats about all I can positively say in comparison. Typical EPA performance I'm guessing. Thing can put out nice heat but likes to build coals and keep them but I think that must be on par with most EPA stoves. Mine is currently heating a total of 2800sqft with 1000 of that uninsulated walkout basement. Admittantly it is struggling to keep up but I have it in an unrealistic situation. In a normal install it should do great.

About once a week I have to wipe the white haze off with a damp paper towel. I also get some ash stuck on the glass. It appears to me that the airwash stirs up ash and for some reason it sticks to the glass near the bottom. I don't get soot or creosote on the glass just that white haze.

My old cat stove always had black creosote covered glass. Only a couple times a year did I burn a fire that was hot enough to clean the glass on that stove.

wkpoor said:
I bought mine 3 yrs ago. Paid close to what they are now~700.00. Performance is pretty good and from reading this forum on par with the Englander. They are made in China, Englander is made in USA so if I had it to do again I would look more towards that one. I like the looks of the Magnolia a little better but thats about all I can positively say in comparison. Typical EPA performance I'm guessing. Thing can put out nice heat but likes to build coals and keep them but I think that must be on par with most EPA stoves. Mine is currently heating a total of 2800sqft with 1000 of that uninsulated walkout basement. Admittantly it is struggling to keep up but I have it in an unrealistic situation. In a normal install it should do great.

In the reviews section of this website, i saw some Stating they paid 300+ on clearance that might be a smaller version not? under reviews of magnolia.
I like the looks of the 2500 better and it has ashpan which the currant model magnolia does not, but it must be new as i cant find any reviews of it. ALso the specs have it at 328 Lbs does that sound right.
WHat kind of burn time are you getting? Im going to check my local TSC they have clearance prices in spring, would love to get an epa stove for 400-600 range. I already have a Great wood stove a harman TL-300 but its pricey and i need another stove for houses i rehab.

Can't believe 300ish for this stove. Maybe 100 off but that would be about it. My personal opinion is the ash pans are useless if you are burning 24/7. My Mag has the pan but unless you let it go completely out I don't know how it could be used so a pan , to me , is of no consiquence. Well the whole burn time thing is extremely subjective. From when to when and from where to where. Many posts here devoted to how to quantify burn times. If you count coal times , which most do it will be a very long time but if you only count fire time then again, what kind and how much wood was put in and at what temperature was the stove operated at? All have affect on burn times. Only problem I'm having with this stove is I have to regulate the temps with fuel volume. They intentionally left a cutout in the primary air damper so that you can't completely choke it off. Therefore it will get very hot very quickly unless I limit the fuel. It may be an easy fix to modify plate but haven't tried it yet. Like I said I would look closely at the Englander as they are in the same price range and it is USA made. The weight is about what you said at 328 or I would guess it at 350.

Also looking at a stove called Century sell at Lowes and Home depot is made in canada ,same price range. WHen i talk about burn times the only consideration is can it easily do overnight burns,some stoves will make you get up early just to feed the stove. Lookin for a 3CUFt firebox EPA and not too heavy. My harman is 525 and is a real killer to move as i move it from rehab to rehab ,now i just want to leaving it at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.