Clean out on ss chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zmak

Nov 23, 2013
east coast
Does the clean out door on the bottom of the T outside need to be air tight? I have inspected and wanted to see if I was burning correctly and noticed no gasket. The trap door is fastened with two screws. I assume when there is a fire burning the air can be sucked in through the edges of this, the door does sit flush but won't the air being pulled in this way hurt draft ?

Leakage is probably minimal. Can you post pictures of that area for verification?

The cast iron ash clean-out door on the side of the bottom of my chimney was letting a ton of cool air rise up around my liner. I ran a bead of silicone calk around it to make a gasket. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.