clean out tee cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespro

Nov 21, 2014
vermont
I have a clean out tee outside. The installer used silicone caulking on the bottom of the clean out tee cap. While trying to remove the clean out cap I removed all of the caulking from the bottom of the cap. I've since noticed a measurable difference in heat output. Should I re-caulk this area? This was not high temp silicone either. When I get home I'm going to give the stove a really deep cleaning to make sure there is no issues.

The cap looked like this:
$_35.JPG

At the bottom of the cap, there was a *$^t ton of silicone caulking around the outside wall and the ash cup (?).

Edit: This isn't my clean out tee, just an example image of what we're looking at.

Last edited:
How much crud was inside the vent at the clean out?

I would use some 3M metal flue tape that is easier to remove than silicone sealant. Just be certain to clean the area with alcohol before attempting to use the tape, tape adhesive does not play well with dirt.

Not much crud in the vent. I just did the deepest clean I've done on this stove. Grabbed a piece of hose and fished around getting out some hidden ash. The burn looks really good and the temp seems to be better. As you say smokey a clean stove is a happy stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.