Clean out tee..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
After firing up the stove a few times.... it appears that I should silicone the clean out cap at the bottom of the liner. I have a 4" into 3" tee with a cap a the bottom. It appears to be leaking smoke on start up. I have siliconed every other joint, but since I would be removing this one every year, was hoping to make it an easy removal process.

Most of us use the aluminum tape to seal the tee caps. Make sure to get the high heat stuff or you'll have a stinky mess. You can use silicone, But it is harder to remove. What every you do, Don't silicone the inside of the tee cap/ You';ll never get it off without wrecking it. Just a thin coat on the outside of the joint(like you'd put on tape) and it will come off after you cut along the seem. Once off just try to peel the most of it off(again same as you would with the tape).

Most of us use the aluminum tape to seal the tee caps. Make sure to get the high heat stuff ........What every you do, Don't silicone the inside of the tee cap.... You'll never get it off without wrecking it.......

Agreed, use the aluminum furnace tape to seal the cap.....MUCH easier to get the cap off.

BTW, to make the job of actually turning the cap to remove it easier, buy a small tube of anti-seize and smear some around the parts of the cap that go inside the T.

Status
Not open for further replies.