Clean your chimney early

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 flues; can't vent two appliances into a single flue in my community!

I cleaned mine last night, bottom up with a poly brush,34ft. Been burning 24/7 for 3-4 months. About 1/2 cup of light brown. Will climb to the top when it is warmer to peek at the cap. It looks good from the ground.

I am undecided whether to start another fire, or run the geo to be sure it works,,,,,,

Can you clean from the bottom? Remove that bottom cap and insert the brush. This is how we do it at present.

That snow had to be super heavy! 18" of heavy wet soggy snow is not light! Rest easy tonight.

Kinda late getting back to this thread... Nope, can't clean from bottom.
Went up on roof the next morning like I said I was going to. Left the cap on the bottom of tee, damper closed on stove. Worked perfect, not a bit of soot came out of top of chimney, but chimney was stone cold from not being used for about 14 hours.

Got a gallon of soot from chimney. Chimney is 22' in length. Last cleaning was 45 days ago. I know reason for all that soot is I was burning white oak slab wood that was cut last summer.
Since cleaning chimney I started on a bundle of red oak. That seems to be burning cleaner and better. This bundle seems to have thinner stuff so its probably dryer than the thicker red oak I was burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.