Clean your chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackman

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2013
Oregon
I had a reminder to clean the chimney thoroughly. Watch this to find out why.

Reactions: ivanhoe and ttdberg
That's great. Those wrens really are persistent little buggers! We had a pair trying to nest in our mailbox about a month ago. The mailbox has a door in the front but is open in the back. They were flying into the back every day when we were at work and building a nest. We would remove it, they would rebuild it the next day. This went one for a few days, and the mailman was just leaving the mail on top of the partially built nest each day. I'm sure he was getting quite a chuckle out of it. In the end, we blocked off the back of the mailbox and the next day they started a nest in the little compartment underneath. We could see them come and go every day, and took a peek in at the babies every once in a while. Two days ago the little ones flew the coop.

Reactions: jackman
I had a starling dive bomb my combustion motor. since then in the off season I use 1/4" mesh on the end of the exhaust. It was a bit grotesque prying the bird out of the motor fins...

I screen off my vent for the summer to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I use a pipe cap that fits snuggly over the vent. Works slick.
yduza4u6.jpg

I have a stamped concrete patio in my backyard, i like to go after work drink a few brew's and relax, my backyard is all wood's, been noticing past few weeks a very nervous bird now that i've seen the video is a Wren, one has a reddish wing, well opened up one of my 3 grill's and the one I dont use anymore has a nest inside near the burner's, now I know why he's been nervously flying around.......

Reactions: jackman and ivanhoe
Status
Not open for further replies.