Cleaned chimney without removing baffles, wahoo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho
The first time I cleaned the chimney I decided there had to be a better way than removing the burn tubes, vermiculite boards, and the fiber blanket on top of them.

This time I went up on the roof, climbed up on the chimney, ran the brush a few times, and put the cap back on. Then I went to the shop got my shop vac and set it by the front door. I have an old swimming pool vacuum hose which I connected to the shop vac. I was able to suck all the soot right out from above the vermiculite boards. Not like last time with ash and soot all over the hearth and floor.

I would be in trouble though if I had a lot of the hard peanut brittle like creosote, it would have clogged the small pool hose. the light fluffy stuff I get came right out. I could actually see it getting sucked into the hose. The only downside to this method is I can't measure how much stuff I got out of the chimney.

I've got adjustable double wall pipe connected to my stove so I just slide it up above the stove, tape on a bag, and let all the junk fall in there.

Alan

We get more dry cold wind than snow so it is not too bad going up there. I would not even try it if there was any moisture, the metal roof becomes slick as teflon.

Status
Not open for further replies.