cleaned Harmon XXV but can't remove combustion blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nectarologist

Feb 3, 2015
Southern New York
Hi. I called the dealer who installed my Harmon XXV for a cleaning that I should have had done in May. Better late than never but they charge $349. I thought that was a lot for what would probably take them 1.5 hours max (2.25 hrs with travel). So i decided to do it myself. I was unable to remove the combustion blower. I loosed the 2 thumbscrews and one nut that hold it in place. The thing won't budge no matter what I do. What's your advice? Do I pay to have the company come out just to get that off so I (they) can brush off the fan blades? Maybe there is a trick I don't about but the video makes it look so easy. The thumb screws were not easy like in the Harman video (I needed to turn them with pliers). I'm just waiting for my vent brush to arrive and I'll clean that out, otherwise I would only need the company to get the combustion blower off. Doesn't $349 seem like a lot? I'm in southern NY state.

Okay, found a on-point thread on here via Google. So I'll work on taking off the combustion blower. But how about the $349 price? I vent directly to the exterior wall (3 ft or so of pipe).

If you get the wing nuts off the fan cover make sure to get a good coating of Never seize on the threads. I wouldn't worry about the motor removal but just clean the fins of the fan and blow the windings of dust bunnies with compressed air while having a vac going. The room fan will need the fins cleaned probably with a stiff brush and the same treatment as the combustion fan for dust removal of the windings.
Maybe the cost is because your trying to have them clean a Harmon not a Harman?

If you get the wing nuts off the fan cover make sure to get a good coating of Never seize on the threads. I wouldn't worry about the motor removal but just clean the fins of the fan and blow the windings of dust bunnies with compressed air while having a vac going. The room fan will need the fins cleaned probably with a stiff brush and the same treatment as the combustion fan for dust removal of the windings.
Thanks will do. Harmon is the beauty supply place (at least by me), :) No pellets there.

I don't remove the combustion blower. I use a small paint brush and wipe off the blades then put the brush between the openings of the blades and rotate it. It knocks out all the ash. I learned the trick from the service tech that showed me how to deep clean the stove.

Thanks for the jackman. I'll try that. I think on mine I'm unable to acces the blades from the inside but I'll look again. If not I read of using a small putty knife to loosen it off.

This - I haven't removed the combustion blower on either of my stoves - just use canned air to blow out the motor in back.

Last edited:
Reactions: nectarologist