Cleaned my chimney today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronl41

Dec 22, 2008
west central MN
Cleaned out my chimney today for the first time, in umm, 3 years. I know it was way way overdue. I cleaned out the stove of all the ashes completely. I looked down it with a flashlight and thought to myself, boy that looks pretty clean. But I swept it out anyway. Went back down to the stove to see how much crap came out and to my surprise there was less than a cup. I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that I burn almost exclusively cottonwood? At any rate I'm gonna keep tabs on my chimney more often now just because it's good practice.

How much of that cottonwood do you burn each year?

I don't know for sure maybe 8 cord. I've got and unlimited supply of standing dead cottonwood that is ready to put in the stove as soon as you cut it. It was by a lake that came up many feet and killed hundreds of these trees. Now the landowner wants the trees out before they start falling into the lake. If I cut all of the trees I'd likely have enough wood to heat my house for at least 20 years if not 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.