Cleaned my PF100 after 1.25 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Man, this last 1.25 ton was a little ashy. I did a long clean. The pipe had 2 full ton through her. I have 18 horizontal feel and have a T inside. I don't have the vac. lower as mine is a backpack. I make a cone with some alum. flashing and blew it out then did a scrape then used the combustion blower to clear that out.

I used a std. Grill cleaning pad to scrape the main box out. I had a good amount of ash outside the ash pan. I can't wait to see if it I use less. It was nice to go that long without cleaning it. I did use the shaker chains though every other day.

I have 1/4" per foot. No issues at all with the burning. I heat 3600sqft (1/3 is unfinished basement) and I keep it at 70 all day and 66 during the night. I burn 2 bags and up to 3 when into single digits.

All is well with it. 18 is the max horizontal from the manual.

The PF-100 will do a run like that but it does need to be cleaned often.

Eric

I find this a lot with furnaces and boilers as the the duct work or zone system that they tie into is usually located somewhere in the center of the house. I have found many issues with horizontal runs...slow or no ignition, inconsistent feeding etc...all related to poor air flow. If you are on top of it....good job. You have great little system there...and half the price of a Froling P4 or Orkofen Autopellet.

Are you using 3" or 4" venting?

I have 4" pipe the full 18' + a little. I get what appears to be a great burn. with my avg 2 bags a day and almost 3 when in single digits for the SQFT and the unfinished basement, I believe I have a good burn.

Any way I look at it, I can't reduce the length of pipe as it will be too far in the room. I guess I would have to see another pf100 flame to know if I am not getting hte draft I need. I hear the Combustion blower is 100cfm.

Anyone have a pic of their PF100 flame in action?

smwilliamson said:
I find this a lot with furnaces and boilers as the the duct work or zone system that they tie into is usually located somewhere in the center of the house. I have found many issues with horizontal runs...slow or no ignition, inconsistent feeding etc...all related to poor air flow. If you are on top of it....good job. You have great little system there...and half the price of a Froling P4 or Orkofen Autopellet.

Are you using 3" or 4" venting?

My set up is pretty much duplicate of yours, same usage and sq footage. The utility room is always
comfortable with the PF100. As far as the flame, if I turn the thermostat down, and it is on manual
(which it always is), I have a small flame, and about every minute it feeds for the count of 5.
Other that that, when it calls for pellets, depending on the call, the pellets are variable, the flame
also is. From just past the burn pot to almost the top of the upper baffle plate.
A new upper baffle plate is in the mail to me, it started buckling in the middle....my son had to have
his replaced last year. got the units 2 1/2 years ago, they are covered by warranty. Have to send the
old baffle plate back.

Reactions: JerseyJeff
Status
Not open for further replies.