cleaned out the chimney...almost.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
I cleaned the chimney and Summit insert to get things ready for the winter. My chimney is a total length of 27 feet. I got the brush down 24', I presume right to the spot where the liner makes the bend around the smoke shelf/damper area. I went down to this point smooth and easy, but I was feared to ram it too hard and get it stuck in there...then I'd be SOL. So I called it good and put things back together. I got about a coffee can of lite ash out of the 24 feet that I did clean. Do I need to try and clean the last couple feet from inside the insert? and if so, how? Or call it good? I am leaning toward calling it good since I hardly got much ash out of what I did clean.

The last couple of feet from the stove is usually the cleanest. I would check and see if anything you dislodged ended up in the bend though.

Sorry, I just reread your post. I guess you really dont have a way to visually check the bend. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you start noticing draft issues that you haven't in the past.

Why not take out the baffle and get a mirror and look up. Here's what I saw after my sweep cleaned from the top down. He went all the way down even though there's a slight bend. As stated above, you may find it's clean because this is the hottest area of the liner and everything gets burned off.

Attachments

• #5 - bump in liner.JPG
    #5 - bump in liner.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 217
Status
Not open for further replies.