cleaned pellet stove glass door. but one very stubborn stain. like a water stain. how can I remove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericwest

Dec 17, 2012
thoroughly cleaned the glass door on my pellet stove...with windex ....and it cleaned up real nice...except for two large light colored stains...sort of like the water or mineral stains on your shower glass...what would remove these?...thanks!!!

Try dipping a wet paper towel in some of the ash and see if it wipes it off.

thoroughly cleaned the glass door on my pellet stove...with windex ....and it cleaned up real nice...except for two large light colored stains...sort of like the water or mineral stains on your shower glass...what would remove these?...thanks!!!

I've had the same thing, and use Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. Got it at Home Depot I think,

The wet paper towel dipped in ash idea works great.. It is even described in my owners manual to do that....

if your windex has ammonia in it, STOP! don't ever use ammonia on the ceramic glass.

my first thought though is to ask if you cleaned the outside of the glass too?
i know it took me a few times of wondering "why can't i get that smudge out" till i routinely do both sides of the glass now.

I was given a bottle of Speedy White Hearth & Stove Cleaner when I bought my stove, cleans glass,creosote,etc

I did clean both sides...and in fact discovered its on the outside of the door glass.....I will try some of the ideas here...and let you guys know if it works....thanks for letting me know that ammonia is not good for the glass....why is that?..what happens if you use windex with ammonia?

the ammonia will penetrate the porous ceramic glass and cause irreversible clouding.
i would most definitely stick with the water and ash method if it were me.
cheaper too. i never get any deposits that even make me think i need any chemical action.

buy stuff like that if you think you really need it. water is (almost) free. and you already paid for the ash.

buy stuff like that if you think you really need it. water is (almost) free. and you already paid for the ash.

it costs like $5 for a bottle that will last 2 years if just used once a week on my stove and i already had it because i have a ceramic cooktop . besides it DEFINATELY works better than messy ash . so :p

Still like the magic eraser to clean the glass.

Has never let me down.

lol, woody :p

sounds like a good thing then.

hey the money this stove is saving me over oil amounts to thousands and thankfully i'm employed . i know alot aren't :( so not trying to make fun of those really struggling . been there myself .
well. i am retired. but it's not like i couldn't buy a bottle of something.
it's just that i have never needed too.
the glass is sparkling clean (just did it today)
i as many others have good success with just water.
but i have no idea how other people's glass gets.
whatever works for you. as long as the newbies don't use something that will damage their glass. and everyone cleans both sides of the glass, we can all continue enjoying great soaking heat and save tons of cash over oil.

i apologize if i sounded smug or disparaging when i posted.

oh yeah - :p

the ammonia will penetrate the porous ceramic glass and cause irreversible clouding.
i would most definitely stick with the water and ash method if it were me.
cheaper too. i never get any deposits that even make me think i need any chemical action.

That may be what St_Earl is speaking of.... If you used an ammonia based product, then you may have already started to "cloud" or "whiten" the glass?

Magic Eraser contains formaldehyde, melamine, to name a few chemicals,,, enough for me..

some of you might benefit by trying just a dry soft cloth.
the ash these mwps leaves on my glass doesn't really adhere to a point i even need water.
been a few weeks since i used any water at all. and the glass is "crystal" clear.

A spray bottle of water is all i have ever used. Wipe down with paper towels and looks nice and clean.

At least for a lil while.

yeah. i had been using water. but i'm discovering i don't even seem to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.