Cleaned stove now operating totally different.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
I cleaned out my chimney and cleaned out my stove very good including the secondary's. This my second season with this used stove a Country s210 about 8 years old. Last year I cleaned my chimney out 2 times but did not really get into the stove at all since everything seemed to be OK.

Well, now the stove is burning totally different from before I have to run with much more primary air just to burn. Before, after had good coal of hots could run at about 25% to 30% air. Now I have to keep at around 50% air to operate anything lower and fire goes out ? Burn times on a load seem to be around the same.

The stove was dirty and secondary's where dirty so is this normal. I did not break anything in stove. Just wondering if any one else's stove operates different after cleaning.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing that I somehow blocked an airway. I vacuumed out everything though pretty darn good.

HighHeat22 said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing that I somehow blocked an airway. I vacuumed out everything though pretty darn good.

Switch from suck to blow!

I suspect that you removed your ash bed. Without the ashes keeping the coals hot, it takes a lot more air to burn the wood. I get that change every time I clean the ashes out. I know I should just leave an inch of ashes on the bottom but I want that space for more wood.

Highbeam said:
I suspect that you removed your ash bed. Without the ashes keeping the coals hot, it takes a lot more air to burn the wood. I get that change every time I clean the ashes out. I know I should just leave an inch of ashes on the bottom but I want that space for more wood.

+1

And just like Highbeam, I clean 'em all out, even though I know you're not supposed to.

With a couple burns you'll be back to normal.

Highbeam said:

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Every time I forget and clean all the ashes out it is a pain in the butt to get the stove going again until an ash bed builds back up.

Hey FireWalker. What do you mean "Switch from suck to blow!" I thought by blowing I would make a bigger mess.

Yes, I have had a couple of fires now and is running better with less primary air. I am just trying to get this stove figured out. I would love to get a newer stove with CAT but I doubt it is going to happen any time soon there is to many other things money seems to run too.

This forum is Great all the advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.