Cleaned Stove Yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
I havent. Still sits there with about 1/2 full of old ash and a semi-dirty glass door since the last time I used it it wasent that cold and I didnt burn the stove that hot! Chimney in the same state of affairs..When do you typically clean everything out? I have been meaning to but my next years wood supply work is taking precidence. I will get to it end of summer/early fall

I haven't either, think we last used it about 3 weeks ago. It's something I plan on doing but haven't gotten around to yet.

Did mine in early May. I get er done before it gets too hot to keep the soot smell down and it is also recommended to sweep early so you don't leave those corrosive creosote beasties inside eating away at your liner and stove.

Add another dirty olympic to the ranks. I wish I had but it is just another thing on the list that will not get done til September.

C'mon, I've been whining about the wood, I need to do the block off plate this year as well!!!

I am a master procrastinator, or maybe master priority maker. First year burner, and I haven't cleaned yet. Everything else will probably take priority until we get a cold evening in the Fall, and I go, "oh $$@!, I've gotta clean the liner"! Although what Todd says above gives me pause. I'd like that liner to last a long time, so I may have to change priorities....

Too early. I was burning just this week. Still have wood crumbs on the hearth.

Cleaned the glass a couple of weeks ago. Last evening I had about 15 minutes till the news came on so did the project and it is now clean. Will check the chimney in the fall before winter to see how much creosote it has, if any. Way too hot to go on the roof now till October or November. :)

I was gonna say, it blows me away that some people are still burning. It's 100* here today. And no, it's definately NOT a dry heat....

I vac'd out all the ash, cleaned the glass, and wiped down the hearth pad...but that's it. Still need to sweep the chimney and wipe down the exterior of the stove.

By the way, what's the best way of cleaning the exterior of a steel body stove (without worring about creating rust)...products etc?

Our PE Summit is as clean as a whistle! (But it's new and not hooked up yet.....)

The old wood furnace and the pellet stove.....yeah, one of these days I have to get to them :(

Ken

Not yet, I want to make sure there are not any hot embers left. I quit burning in April for the most part. :lol:

It is a relief too not be the only lazy bum who has not cleaned out the stove!
Haha

Not done yet. However, I did finish with processing the wood supply for next season's burning about 3 weeks ago.

Looked at mine the other day. Nothing but a bit of peeled creosote at the top and clean down the pipe. I'll clean at some point this summer. Vac out the stove and I think I'm good to go.
Chad

I'm going to clean mine by replacing it with something new hopefully before August!

Next season's wood is ready and the chimneys were cleaned, but not the stoves yet - waiting for a rainy day for that, something we haven't had since late April.

Cleaned out the stove & cleaned the access door area today too.
Calling to schedule the chimney cleaning on Monday, I know I need a new damper & lower collar.

Sweep did the chimney in April and now it is time to extend the hearth. And the latter sucks, cause we did it last year to bring it up to code. and now with the new insert that has the shrouds on the side it has to be extended again. So jack hammer out the old slate and down with the porcelian tiles. Actually it is gonna look sweet when it`s done and we will beat code by 4 inches ;-)

Nope I don't have to my PE Summit is self cleaning...:)

I cleaned chimney and fireplace a while ago, and did some crack repairs + a preemptive coating of furnace cement on the refractories. Had to remove a stinky dead bird also that kept on flying down but apparently didn't make it back up the last time. It's all ready for fall.

Not yet. Probably will get to it in August. By then, I'll have a replacement combustor on hand and will do everthing at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.