Cleaned the chimney last weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I was happy. Got a cup or two of powder. Cap was pretty clean. Should be even better this year I hope
image.jpg

Powder is good. :)

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Now that's a man who knows how to run his stove!

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I was happy. Got a cup or two of powder. Cap was pretty clean. Should be even better this year I hope
View attachment 158362

I hope mine looks like that! I have yet to clean it out. I have never done it so I am going to hire a professional, see what he does, look for the proper tools (what do you need?), and then try ti myself.

I give thanks to all you folks here cause it would've looked much worse before I found this place
Me, too. This will be my 3rd season coming up and I've still got some of the Oak sorted from my "seasoned" starter cord I bought when I got the stove set aside waiting to burn. I'm hoping to have results similar to yours this year.

• I hope mine looks like that! I have yet to clean it out. I have never done it so I am going to hire a professional, see what he does, look for the proper tools (what do you need?), and then try ti myself.

I have the Rutland tip for the metal chimneys with 4, 4ft flexible poles and a wire brush and old gloves. Pull out your tubes and fiber board from your stove, take the cap off and have at it!

Last edited:
I have the Rutland tip for the metal chimneys with 4, 4ft flexible poles and a wire brush and old gloves. Pull out your tubes and fiber board from your stove, take the cap off and have at it!

Thank you! Any links or pics of what this stuff looks like so I know what to buy?

I hope mine looks like that! I have yet to clean it out. I have never done it so I am going to hire a professional, see what he does, look for the proper tools (what do you need?), and then try ti myself.
I'm not sure what you would have to do with that stove. You need to get the stuff to fall down into the stove, where you can get it out, not stay in the stove or pile up around the combustor. Hopefully it can be done without pulling the insert out...

I'm not sure what you would have to do with that stove. You need to get the stuff to fall down into the stove, where you can get it out, not stay in the stove or pile up around the combustor. Hopefully it can be done without pulling the insert out...

Yikes, I hope not. Its a straight shot up the chimney about 18 ft of liner is my guess. Dutch colonial house straight up the chimney. I can't just open the damper and let it fall in the stove?

I can't just open the damper and let it fall in the stove?
Depending on the construction of the insert, you may be able to do that. But you may need to figure out a way to keep the sweepings from going where you don't want them to go, or maybe you can vacuum the debris out of those areas after you brush. Maybe one of the guys here who have done more sweeping will have some input, like @bholler or @webby3650.

On Travis inserts the bypass is designed in a way that you can just leave it open while you sweep the flue. Then use a vac to sweep out the little passages around the bypass opening. Also gently sweep the ash off of the catalyst. I use the vaccum for that as well.

On Travis inserts the bypass is designed in a way that you can just leave it open while you sweep the flue. Then use a vac to sweep out the little passages around the bypass opening. Also gently sweep the ash off of the catalyst. I use the vaccum for that as well.

Awesome. I am going to have someone come in and do it then mimic what he does. I figured it would be easy just to open the damper and let it fall in the stove. Thanks for the help guys sorry to hijack the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.