Cleaned the chimney today and looked what happened (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I knew it would be too easy if I could just go up and do a nice cleaning. When I was pulling the brush back up the plate started to come off. What kind of adhesive to you guys recommend. I should also trim the plate right, at least every stove guy that sees it through the years says so. This install was done before I bought the house, I guess I can complain too much, the people did leave me with a nice stove, Quad 5100 insert
Thanks

Attachments

• 0806091213a.jpg
    0806091213a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 0806091214a.jpg
    0806091214a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 0806091214b.jpg
    0806091214b.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 491
I used a bead of ordinary silicone caulk around the top of the tiles and this year after three burning seasons when I went to replace the top plates and caps with matching new one piece units I had to use a box cutter to cut through the stuff it had the top plates stuck down so well.

I use silicone as well. Hi temp...

Diva Lady Go Pook has an okay idea as well, but you'd have to make relief cuts to cleanly fold the plate.

Yup, I just used Silicone on mine too, holding up real well.

sorry didnt' mean to post again.

Scrape off all the old silicone. Clean the steel with some alcohol or something that will get rid of any oil or creosote on it. Use LOTS of silicone and stick her down good. Works best if the liner is pulling down on it, otherwise you might have to weight it down with a few bricks.

If you really want to go crazy you can cut and bend the plate down and then use some masonry screws to hold it down (if you clay tile doesn't fall apart). I would silicone it first though for the extra seal. The screws will just keep it down tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.