Cleaned the Chimney Today for the 2nd Time Ever....Take a Look!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hi everyone! Since this is my first year burning in our new wood stove. I've been a firebug my whole life and have used plenty of peoples wood stoves, but this is the first year I've burned 24/7 and maintained my own stove. Since I'm essentially a newbie with this stove I figured I'd clean the chimney and stove once a month. I have 5 ft of double wall stove pipe and 17ft of double wall chimney pipe on an interior chase. I'm cleaning the chimney from the bottom up using the SootEater.

My wood for this year is not 100% ideal. Its mostly oak and its in the low 20's for moisture. I first cleaned the chimney on December 1st after about 6 weeks of burning. During those 6 weeks I was dealing with the lurning curve and also burning a bunch of lumber scraps and some rounds of seasoned cedar.

Anywho....I got 2 cups of creosote after the first six weeks. Here is what I had on December 3rd.
creosote.jpg

I just cleaned it again for the second time. During the past five weeks I've been trying to get longer burns so I was expecting a bit more creosote. I got 1.25 cups. Not too shabby.
creosote2.jpg

What do you think? Is this an acceptable amount of creosote after 5 weeks? Thanks!

It's an improvement and an indication of how much better things will get once you have truly seasoned wood. Shari just pulled out about 1/4 cup for 3 cords? I think.

Can you add your stove make and model to your signature line in your personal settings?

I had to buy my wood this year as I didn't get a chance to plan ahead. My "seasoned" wood is in the low-mid 20's. My wood is ready to go for next year and will be truly seasoned. I'd say I've burnt about 1.25-1.5 cords so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.